Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a stray that I found who was pregnant. She eventually…

I have a stray...

I have a stray that I found who was pregnant. She eventually had 9 pups who are now 12 days old. She loves my husband and I a lot and has adapted beautifully. Our problem is that I am taking day shift with she and puppies and my husband is taking night shift. Our butch is getting up all night long and makes him get up,take her out. She is healthy, just seems to want to roam house and not sleep. We are both 70 years old and really need sleep. It is taking its toll. Any ideas? If someone doesn't get up she will pee all over house. The pups are almost two weeks old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the stray dog. What is the dog's name?

Dog's name is Lucky! She is a great dog. Just won't sleep at night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

Healthy puppies. Am feeding mother dog 4-5 times a day. She is nursing very well too.

2/11/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

The problem is that this is a stray so we do not know anything about her history.

Because she gave birth I would first want to make sure she is healthy with nothing causing her a need to urinate so often.

That being done, we have to go back to the fact that she is a stray and we don’t know if she was kept inside a home or left outside on her own. If she was an outside dog, she is not going to be comfortable inside the home. She may be putting up with it because of her puppies.

As for training, if there is a need to go then you have to let her out.

You can try putting her and the pups in a small room or a dog play pen area to make clean up easier , but it is unlikely you will be able to train her differently until after the puppies are gone. Their crying and movements will likely keep her up throughout the night so that she cannot rest. Possibly when they are eating on their own at 4 weeks that may change.

The first thing to do is get a check of the urine by dropping off a sample to your vet to check for infection.

She loves being indoors. Has adjusted great. Just wants to roam house at night. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t even remember being a stray. Doesn’t have a urination problem. Just can’t seem to be down all night? Any suggestions?
Thank you.

You can try some calming music, a calming collar. Unfortuatly if she is gong to nurse it can't be any medication.

There is some free calming music on the internet you can try.

The calming collar can be purchased in any store, they also have some diffusers.

You can try a crate as well cover it with a blanket and put a floor fan on somewhere nearby for the sound as this is calming.

DAP Diffuser

http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-DAP-Plug-In/dp/B000J3HZWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359418808&sr=8-1&keywords=dap+diffuser

8 hours of calming music youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHEB41yRdU&vl=en

Through a dogs ear CD

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Dogs-Ear-Canine-Companion/dp/B003C1F1PI/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982686&sr=1-2&keywords=through+a+dogs+ear

do you have any idea how old she is?

As soon as she stops nursing you can try some over the counter melatonin as this is used for anxiety in dogs.

Here is information and dosing.

http://Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

Thank you. I will try the collar at night and get the melatonin for later.
The vet said she was probably around three.

Thank you. I asked the age because dogs, like people can get a type of dementia and with that they tend to roam all night. I think it has more to do with her need to check on puppies and once up she may fee the need to go out.

It should be over soon, then you will be waking up with the puppies!

Thanks! Thought I was saving one stray! Got her plus nine!

You are doing a good deed! Watching the puppies grow will be a fun event:)

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.