Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

We have a 2 and half St Bernard who has become aggressive…

We have a 2...

We have a 2 and half St Bernard who has become aggressive towards children and other dogs we had him neutered 4 months ago thinking that it would help a.he is such a loving dog with myself and husband the just don't understand

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I have just sent you my problem did you not receive it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He's not hurting he's gone aggressive towards dogs and children

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roger?

No he's so gentle with us

1/22/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Aside from the way he treats you, how is he when meeting new people, does he go right up to them or does he back away, bark, etc?

If he has a valued item such as a bone, toy, food, can anyone take it away from him?

When did this aggression start?

Have you had his Thyroid tested?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He barks a people when he meets team I can take his bone off him when he's eating it his aggressive behaviour started about a year ago

Thank you for that information. It may be that he has fear aggression as dogs with this will bark at people approaching them in an effort to keep them away from them.

Dogs with this will not trust children as children have no impulse control and do not know how to read a dog's body language. So I would keep the dog in a different area when children are around to avoid any accidents.

with adults, they should not try to approach the dog, look directly at the dog, talk to the dog, as all of this is seen as a challenge by the dog and if he feels cornered he may bite.

Feeling cornered could be outside on the end of a leash , it does not have to be actually a corner wall.

If this was sudden behavior then I would suggest having his thyroid levels checked as this can cause sudden aggression. But it sounds like it has been going on for a while if you had him neutered 4 months ago thinking it would help.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
But what can I do to stop him we have to wait until its dark to take him for a walk in cases he sees a dog and goes for him . We want to be able to take him for walks alone the beach as it near our house and leave him off the lead but we are to sacred

I would not let him off lead. He needs some in depth training and possibly some behavior adjustment training to acclimate to kids and other dogs. I would start training him daily now in commands such as a leave it and a recall so you know that 100% of the time he will respond. I would look into classes that have reactive rover such as your ASPCA and get him enrolled in that. He is too big and too uncertain to take along the beach where there is so much stimuli until some severe training has begun. IN reactive rover type classes you will get a sense of what will set him off in other dogs. Children will always set him off because of their jerky movements and high pitched screams so I would not have him around that until he is 100% controlled by your voice.

Though at this time if you want to try short walks to see how he does , you might want to try a Gentle leader collar as this can control the head so he will walk by you and helps with pulling.

Start training him while you are out there and I would stick close to the house while training.

Here is a link for positive obedience. You will find the leave it and recall in there.

Also I will put some behavior adjustment training in a link for you.

leave it Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8oaB7MAJnI

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Training method BAT http://empoweredanimals.com/

http://empoweredanimals.com/BAT-basics.pdf

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist