Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

He is nervous and pacing around the house. He is still

Customer Question
He is nervous and...

He is nervous and pacing around the house. He is still urinating on the furniture and pooping on the rug even though we take him out many times a day. He is 6 years old and we've had him since he was 9 weeks old. He goes crazy when we leave the house. He goes crazy when anyone comes to the house. Help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Arche

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Training
1/20/2018
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 month ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi Jacustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed is Arche?

Does he have any health issues that you know of?

Does he always do it in the same general area?

What methods have you tried to house train him with?

What does he do when you leave the house?

What does he do when people come to the house?

What obedience training has he had?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Miniature schnauzer, 6 years old. No health issues
Yes
Crate training
Providing plenty of outdoor play. We have an invisible fence
Praise
Basically trying to keep him calm
He barks and trembles and Jim’s on the furniture
Follows me. Sticks to me like glue
He does the same when we have guests. Just wont stop barking wildly
He has had a session that lasted 3 weeks. He was about 5 months old then

thanks for the additional information. If it helpful.

Lets approach potty training first. Crate training is very effective if you are consistent in the training. I will explain how it should be done.

I recommend crate training. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty.

I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your puppy during potty time either.

During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep.

When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first.

Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good pet deodorizing cleaner. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out.

It helps to have tasty treats like hot dog slivers to give your boy when he starts to eliminate outside. This teaches him where you want him to go.

The alternative is to leash him to you and when you see him squat or lift his leg, give a short tug on the leash to interrupt him and give a firm low toned NO so he sees that you find it unacceptable. You will then take him outside and let him go so you can reward him when he eliminates outside where you want him to. When you can not watch him or have him leashed to you, crate him until you can leash him to you again. Remember to clean anywhere he has eliminated so the smell doesn't draw him back to the spot to go again.

It sounds like he may have separation anxiety if he is carrying on and barking when you leave.

First thing is to take your dog for a nice long walk in the morning before you leave, preferably 30 minutes or long. Make it a long, quick paced walk to tire your boy out.

Second is to use a low-key approach to leaving the house. Ignore your dog before you leave and after you come home for at least 5 minutes or more. If your house is like mine in the morning everyone is running around getting ready to leave. This has the dog in an excited mood and then suddenly he is alone. If this is the case, put him away from everyone, say in a bathroom until the frenzy is over.

Don't punish or shout at your dog when you come home and find he's destroyed yet another rug. When you do, you increase his stress level rather than reduce it.

You can prevent this behavior by crating your dog or confining him in a small area that does not have rugs and provide him with small stimulating toys or toys that you can fill with treats.

Sometimes leaving a TV or radio on can help a dog with this problem as well. Also remember to not reward a dog's excitement to you with petting and affection or even eye contact. You want to show him nice calm praise when he is being calm.

You can also try practicing alone time by having him spend time away from you in a crate or other area away from you for short periods of time when you are home. If it is just barking, clicker training may be an option for you. Read about this technique here:

http://www.caninetlc.com/articles/threebarkrule

Now obedience training will help with the problems you have when visitors come. If he is obedience trained you can command him to sit or stay in one place and reward him for the desired behavior. You can teach him not to bark as well.

. For barking, as crazy as it seems, you may want to teach the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after your dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.
http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

If this doesn't work, you may have to try a citronella bark collar. They are very effective.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 28 days ago

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist