Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

We rescued a very well behaved six year dog on Saturday. He…

Customer Question
We rescued a very...

We rescued a very well behaved six year dog on Saturday. He has attacked my nine year Yorkie several times the last few days and I don't know what to do. My Yorkie is very laid back. Freddie is full of energy. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

I am more concerned about the new dog hurting the older Yorkie who is docile.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

New dog appears to think he is going to be the Alpha. They get along most of the time because Bernie doesn't cause a problem but he is sad.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
1/18/2018
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What breed is the new dog?

How is the dog if there are valued items around, such as bones, food, toys etc? Can you take a valued item from him without incident? How about the other dog can he take something from him?

What do you know about the rescue dog?

What precedes the fighting?

My new dog is a silky terrier. He is approximately 6 years old. He is extremely well behaved and friendly--a lap dog. If a bone, food, toy is taken from him, he is happy and goes off to do something else. He never gets upset. I have separate dishes for both dogs but he doesn't seem to mind if Bernie gets the wrong dish Freddy just goes over and eats out of Bernie's dish and that is fine with Bernie.
The rescue dog came from a high kill center in LA, California. Ginger rescues approximately 20 dogs every other week and puts them up for adoption. This little dog was at the former place of residence about a year. They had very small children and he apparently was good with them and other dogs. They turned him in because they said it was hard to contain him. I do not understand that. He is very obedient and wants to please.If I pet him and let him sit by me then he seems to pick on Bernie by lunging at him. Bernie won't fight back, he just slinks off to bed. In the car if Bernie sits in my lap Freddie doesn't like it--he wants to sit in my lap. There is apt to be a confrontation once we are in the house.We put Freddy in a crate last night and on a leash in the house and he seems to be happy and more relaxed today--Bernie also. The dogs do very well together on their 2 mile walk each morning--a high light of Freddy's day!Thank you for helping me.Anne

Thank you for that information. You have just explained possession aggression. The valued item is you or it is the space next to you. Dogs choose what item is valuable, it is not always food.

I would suggest that this may continue to happen and in these types of instances we recommend the learn to earn program. This does mean that there need to be a space for each dog on the floor, a crate or bed, but not on your lap on on your furniture. By placing them both on the floor you put them on a more even playing field.

I would certainly make sure that both have a good sit stay, or down stay , and a firm grasp on the leave it command. You should put each in a position for petting while making each remain in place.

This possession aggression may transfer to all places you relax and have them with you so keeping a bed available in each place can help. For ease, just a plain old bathtub rug will do, as long it is on the floor in a spot for them.

You did see a difference using a crate today and that helped. I would keep that up so he has a spot to go to.

Here is a little more on the learn to earn. But becaue at this time it seems spacial, you may not have to go that deeply into the program, just giving them their own separate space away from you might work.

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist