Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I am a small home breeder of Labradoodles. I have in my home…

Customer Question
I am a small...

I am a small home breeder of Labradoodles . I have in my home 2 two fixed male aged 12. Two fixed females and one pregnant female and Our latest addition is a female aged 1 year in heat . Our pack has a very clear leader, but last night for what seemed to be no reason the youngest ( in heat ) attacked the female pack leader . It was very vicious, lots of hair flying and the leader was trapped on her back by the younger dog . When I was finally able to separate them I scolded the younger pup and isolated her in the yard for 5 minutes . They have been pals since the fight yesterday but I am terrified of leaving them alone unsupervised in fear of what might kick off . This morning it happened again over food HELP PLEASE

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Dog Trainer ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

Only that she was her from birth , she does not challenge her mum only the alpha female who is much smaller than her

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Training
1/15/2018
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 6 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

It may seem that one dog is clearly the leader but it is never the same when there is a female in heat. Generally there will be a lot of infighting and the one in heat will usually be the victor. This female is now coming into her own and may very well be ready to take over the lead.

The best thing to do at this time is keep her separated from the rest while she goes through this cycle or other infighting may occur.

When this infighting starts , as it has already, then over time the dogs can pick up a learned behavior, when two specific dogs get together they fight, that's what they have taught each other.

It also sounds like there is some possession aggression going on over food and this may continue even after the cycle is over. I wold feed the aggressor in a separate room and pick up all dishes , except water dishes, as soon as all are done eating.

If this continues after her heat cycle she will need to be trained daily in obedience and best to be put on the learn to earn program. It may be worth hiring someone to come to the house to help you with this.