Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I rescued my dog Kahlua 2 years ago. He was severely

I rescued my dog Kahlua...
I rescued my dog Kahlua 2 years ago. He was severely tramatized by someone who looks, smells or sounds like my son. Whenever my son enters the room with us he screams frantically in fear. You can see the terror in his eyes. He will run to him tail wagoing but screaming at the same time. He then runs to me. He is the only family member he does this too. Otherwise he's a sweet, loving dog. What can I do to help him get passed this?
1/14/2018
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Most dogs do not run to someone that they fear. That said, you should be able to train the dog to not scream period. If you haven't done any obedience training with the dog, I would start that immediately. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Once the dog knows at least one command, have your son start working with him on commands. What this accomplishes is to not only teach the dog that when someone says a specific word, they want him to do a specific act like sit. However, it also helps the dog learn that your son is safe and he has no need to scream when your son enters a room. Also you use hot dog slivers for training and if Kahlua's mouth is busy chewing treats for obeying, he won't be screaming.

Additionally you can train him not to scream. Keep a leash on him attached to a harness. Each time he screams, you want to give a short tug and a low toned growl like "NO". When he comes to you, DO NOT reassure him, do NOT pick him up and if possible ignore him. Dogs are opportunistic. If they find that exhibiting a certain behavior gets them attention, they will continue to exhibit that behavior to get the attention. If you start giving him a reprimand when he exhibits this behavior and your son starts working with him on obedience, he should stop the behavior. You will also be giving him rewards when he starts not screaming. So if he doesn't scream immediately or hesitates, give him a treat to he realizes what behavior you do want to see.

You might also see if your son can change his underlying smell a little as well. He might accomplish this by changing some of the foods he eats. For instance someone that eats a lot of onions or garlic has a specific smell to their sweat and skin. he might also rinse his body with a vinegar and water solution which can help change the PH of the skin. Eating leafy vegetables can help with the odor a body emits and might change the body odor as well. Changing any products that smell might also help the situation. If he wears tight fitting clothing then wearing looser clothes might help as well.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kahlua. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist