Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I live with My daughter and Son in Law. About a month and a…

I live with My...

I live with My daughter and Son in Law. About a month and a half ago they decided to adopt a chow chow. They went to see the dog once and then brought me to meet her. They have recently lost a chow chow to old age. The last dog my daughter grew up with from a pup. So they decided to get another one after almost a year after she was gone. They wanted to get another girl chow chow. The new dog has had multiple litters and within two weeks has been fixed. So here’s my problem. The chow listens to my daughter and her husband but follows me right in front of me as to try and trip me up. She has nipped me in the back of my legs three times. It wasn’t hard but she growls at me. So this morning I took her for a walk and then went to feed her. I picked up her bowl and I turned my back to get the food. And she nip my back leg. I turned around to tell her to stop and she grabbed my shirt and and hen growled again. She strange thing is he doesn’t do this to them and when they’re not home, the dog just lies on the rug by the door and does nothing. I can walk around and she doesn’t care. But when they come home it’s back to the same thing again. What am I doing wrong for her not to respect me the same way? I am disabled and sometimes walk with a cane.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Wound on her foot? Is this for me?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Snow

1/14/2018
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Right now I think the dog recognizes that your daughter and son-in-law are the bosses in the house. She needs them right now. So when you are home with her alone, she needs you and is behaving from what you describe. However, she does not recognize you as her boss so she is attempting to control you with nips and growls during those times she can depend on others. . Since you are disabled and use a cane sometimes, she likely realizes that you are not 100% healthy and of course, she has teeth that would make her stronger and more dominant.

Now you can correct this situation pretty easily if you are willing to put in some time with Snow on obedience training. This applies even if she already knows commands. If she already knows them, it will just make it a little easier. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Now talk to your daughter and son-in-law so they understand what is going on so they can also practice the NILF program as well. For practice sessions you can even be sitting if she already knows the commands. Now I would use paper thin hot dog slivers as treats for her obeying commands. If she does not seem motivated to obey by food, you will need to cut back on the amount she is being fed so she wants to work for the treats. So be sure to work with her before any meal times.

This works because each time a dog obeys a command whether it is for a treat or not, they become just a little more submissive each time until they obey out of habit each and every time and the first time the command is given. Chow Chows are very dominant, strong willed dogs so you need to be stronger willed than she is. It does not need to be physically intimidating just confident that you are the boss and expect her to listen. Having the right frame of mind when working with strong willed dogs can make training a lot easier.

You might also ask your daughter to put a basket style muzzle on her when they come home to avoid her nipping you. Hopefully it won't take long with you working with her on obedience for her to stop trying to control you with growls and nips.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Sorry it took me so long but I showed the response you gave to them the next day and of course my daughter was upset about the muzzle. But there was a problem yesterday. Snow was eating and I was passing by to go to the kitchen and I’d say it was at least 5 feet from where she was and I thought that since she was focused on eating that she wouldn’t bother with me. Boy was I wrong, she left her bowl and came straight at me and grabbed my pant leg and tore a hole in my pants. She wouldn’t let go until my Son-in-Law told him to stop. Snow wouldn’t listen to me. I’m so fed up with trying to walk in this house. So they had an appointment to take her to the Vet to get her County tag and a check up and of course everything went well there. I left for the day I was so upset. They have an appointment for a trainer/ behaviorist and I guess we are to meet them without Snow first. Anyways that’s what’s going on. Thank You for the suggestions. I hope Snow and I will benefit from this.

I hope so as well. At this point she is a dangerous dog toward you. You might get an air horn can and if she goes for you blast it. That might distract her long enough for someone to come to your aid and make her more leary of approaching you in that manner at least until she has some training. It isn't the optimum since it is best that she listen to you and see you as a boss and not someone she can boss around but at least you will not have torn clothes and bites to worry about. I don't know why they would be upset about a muzzle. I'd be more upset over my mother than a muzzle on the dog. They should be aware of the fact that if the dog bites once, it might be forgiven but if it bites twice, they usually seize the dog in most places around the country.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist