Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I have a 10 month old french bulldog who has a barking

problem whenever he sees other...
I have a 10 month old french bulldog who has a barking problem whenever he sees other dogs. We have two other older french bulldogs at home and even with the oldest one, who is 12 years old, he occasionally goes into barking fits which then result in her lunging at him and putting him in his place. When we go to dog parks, he tends to start barking at all the other dogs. It isnt particularly aggressive barking... its more of a nervous bark. The big dogs typically dont care, but a lot of the smaller dogs tend to cringe back. He isnt getting into fight unless other dogs snarl at him or are aggressive, but his bad habits are drawing dogs into scuffles occasionally. I’m trying to figure out the best way to break him of his bad habit and how to socialize him at this age.
1/14/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What type of personality does he have, is he friendly with other dogs/people or does he shy away at first?

What type of training do you do with him and how often?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Super friendly with people. Usually goes right at other dogs. He is very excited for people and dogs. Mostly just gets too excited. We did puppy socialization and I am constantly reinforcing basic training and commands, but no advanced training or behavior training. I use treat reward training which works great with chowhound frenchies
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If phone is easier I can talk either right now or in about 30 minutes

Thank you for that information. At this point being so young , there does not sound like there is much impulse control.

(The phone would cost you extra)

I might try to put a wait in place when greeting other dogs and I would put a leave it in place which should stop the barking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What’s the best way to train for that?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct assessment. Zero impulse control

Train the wait cue, like make the pup wait to eat until you give it a release command, use the wait before getting in and out of the car and the crate. Get some toys also that teach impulse control.

I will put a link on teaching leave it. Use a variety of objects, not just food, so the dog knows it means to leave everything alone.

I might do some practice runs with someone you know that has a dog where you can pull your dog back and turn around if the leave it is not listened to. Start at a distance from each other.

Remember to reward highly the the moment the dog stops barking. I would use something like chicken slivers.

Leave it should be in here

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

Video, instead of the Yes , try the clicker or another cue they don't hear so much like the word Tip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8oaB7MAJnI

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great thank you

You are very welcome. Please leave a rating before you leave so the company compensates me for my time and feel free to ask for me if you get stuck later down the road. I am on most every day.

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist