Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I have adopted a 9 year old chihuahua after a relative died.

Customer Question
I have adopted a...

I have adopted a 9 year old chihuahua after a relative died. I have her 16 months. She is sweet, bossy, and very difficult to develop a house breaking routine. She will some times use the “pee pad” and others she will go wherever she pleases. In winter she is not thrilled to go outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

No. I might mention that I have a 14.5 year old medium sized cok-a-poo who is blind and deaf but sweet, passive, and well trained

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Chi Chi she was rescued by a cousin who died in September of 2016

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chi?

She gets along fine with Bear. She is healthy but I had the vet clean her teeth and 6 extractions were done. She has a good appetite, has 3 beds throughout the house and is very comfortable with me on a recliner. Her life is not difficult

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Training
1/5/2018
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 month ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

it sounds like you want to house train her. The fastest way of accomplishing this is to crate train her.

I recommend crate training even for older dogs. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty.

I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your girl during potty time either.

During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep.

When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first.

Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good enzymatic pet deodorizing cleaner. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

An alternative method is to keep her attached to you when you are not able to keep a close eye on her with a leash. This won't be permanent but just until she has learned to only go outside or on the pad which should be near the door. Be sure every place she has eliminated is cleaned thoroughly or the odor will draw her back to eliminate there again. Keep some hot dog slivers in your pocket and the second she starts to squat or defecate in the proper place, reward her with a treat. Between stopping her from defecating in the wrong place, rewarding her in the right places and teaching her a clear signal to use, the problem should be resolved.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist