Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a 3 year old yellow lab/german shepard mix who in the…

Customer Question
I have a 3...

I have a 3 year old yellow lab/german shepard mix who in the last month has started to become aggressive with my 8 year old jack-a-bea. She was raised with this dog and they have always had a good relationship.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Sorry. Didn't mean to hit enter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

The lab seems perfectly healthy but when she hears cerain triggers she will race down to the other dog, get in a domoinant position, and bite her. The wounds have been minimal and not required vet intervention. The triggers are kids knocking on the door, the doorbell ringing, the kids yelling, or the other dog barking. I separate them and the lab settled in a minute and then is licking and engaging the other dog in play. At times I will remove the lab to my room for a time out. Was looking for advice and insight into what else I can do to modify the land reaction. She only goes after the other dog. Both are spayed. She does not go after the car or any people in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog bleeding a lot?

Cat not car. No the other dog doesn't bleed from the scratches or small punctures.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

The lab that is being aggressive at the triggers is Butterscotch and the jack-a-bea is Schotzy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

She's overall very tolerant and affectionate with the dog, cat, and people in the house and guests that come to visit. She is leery of strangers and unknown people outside the house.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/29/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Has Butterscotch had any obedience training?

Has she started shedding excessively such as when you pet her you have hair coming off of her?

Any increase in thirst of more urination than normal?

How long ago did this behavior start?