Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a service dog and he is great at what he does and…

Customer Question
I have a service dog...
I have a service dog and he is great at what he does and when he's out except when we are at work he will randomly jump and bark at kids cannot figure out why
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/28/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 7 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm not sure how much refresher training your service dog has had, but he definitely needs some more work on obedience and his focus. When working he should be focused on you and ignoring distractions like children. When he does this you will need to reprimand him with a short tug to break his concentration and a firm low toned "NO". Make it growl like so he understands it is a reprimand. In addition, keep a supply of tasty treats like tiny hot dog slivers and reward the desired behavior of laying or sitting and remaining calm and ignoring children.

Children are always a real distraction for dogs since they are so unpredictable in their movements and sounds. To a dog this can make the situation tense since dogs like knowing what to expect. Desensitizing your dog to children will work as well. For instance, find a school yard with a bench or other area where you can sit with your dog but have no real interaction with the children. As long as your dog is responding in the manner he is supposed to you reward him with the tiny treats. Reward at least every once in a while so he keeps his focus on you and learns that is how you want him to behave when around children. If he pays too much attention to the distraction, then you will want to give the reprimand so he knows that behavior is unacceptable.

You might also call the group who supplied the service dog to you and see if they do any refresher training with him to help with behavioral issues after the initial training.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.