Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have two adult Labrador Retrievers, same age of 4.5 years,

Customer Question
I have two adult...

I have two adult Labrador Retrievers, same age of 4.5 years, one male and one female. The male weighs 110 pounds. For the past week the male starts going berserk around 7 pm, barking non stop all night long and acting like he has run a marathon with his heavy breathing. Tonight I gave him 3 25 mg Benedryl yet he is still going crazy with the barking. What can I do to shut him up. This has rarely happened before but lately it has been every night for the past two weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Nothing, totally healthy but for the past two weeks he has been barking nonstop and going around the yard at full speed. I have to shut him up somehow.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Are you not reading anything I write?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Not at all. he acts totally normal all day but at night his activity level and barking is nonstop.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes, I first thought that he wanted more food but that is not why he barks all night, giving more food does not stop the barking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. What is the dog's name?

Chocolate Lab is named Mocha.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?

No, he is normal and healthy, just had all shots and is in great condition, he just will not let us rest with the barking. Neighbors are complaining.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/24/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. I'm sorry for the delay. Apparently the question was in the wrong category and not where a behaviorist could answer them.

When was your males last physical done?

Do his eyes have a greenish sheen to them when light reflects off them?

Do you live in the country, suburbs or city?

Do they have a lot of area to be in?

What part of the country do you live in?

Are they outside dogs or does he do this inside as well?

What have you tried so far?

Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 3 months ago

Hi again,

I noticed that you have not responded to my request for more information. Perhaps you deleted it in error or it went to your junk folder and you missed it. Here is the information request again.
When was your males last physical done?

Do his eyes have a greenish sheen to them when light reflects off them?Do you live in the country, suburbs or city?Do they have a lot of area to be in?What part of the country do you live in?Are they outside dogs or does he do this inside as well?

What have you tried so far?

Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer