Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

Licks all the time barks at tv doorbell knock at door. Have…

Customer Question
Licks all the time...

Licks all the time barks at tv doorbell knock at door

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

Have a chocolate lab that barks at my frends barks even when you say stop no 9 parks at people who are OK barks at other dogs all the TV but my biggest problem is she licks like 20 hours A-day she's looking at her elbow she's looking at me she's looking on the floor she licks all night long so the bed is wet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Likes to eat poop

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/23/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Licking can be a sign of many things, It can be stress, allergies or nausea.

It is important to make sure what you are dealing with. IF it is nausea you can try some pepcid AC. If it is allergies you can try some Zyrtec or Benadryl.

If it is stress , she likely needs some training.

I would also train her the cue leave it to 100% accuracy so that when she barks you can give that cue. But you can't just yell leave it when she is barking until she is taught what it means.

It is likely that NO bark was yelled at her each time she barked so it had no meaning, it was just an interrupter.

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

I will direct you to some training methods for teaching leave it. Also teaching the difference between speak and quiet can also help.

If it is stress then something like over the counter melatonin can help and I will direct you to a link on dosing this as well.

Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

dose of famotidine administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hour Read more at: https://tr.im/tAWfZ

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

zyrtec http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cetirizine-(zyrtec-)

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins check to be sure there is no xylitol in the ingredients
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

Speak & Quiet

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

** http://petcaretips.net/teach-dog-stay-quiet.html

this has how to teach leave it in with other training

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

Please let me know if you have any questions. IF not , please don't forget to rate my answer so the company compensates me for my time:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist