Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

He's 7 months old and just recently started whining nonstop…

Customer Question
Hello, he's 7 months...

Hello, he's 7 months old and just recently started whining nonstop for attention. We he was 8 weeks until now he never whines unless there's a very specific reason (like trying to get down from the bed or needing to pee). He's not neutered yet so I wonder if this is his adolescent bad behavior

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He just whines all day long and when I'm at home he just scratches as the door and whines/howls

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Mr. Bojangles I don't think he;s in pain because he's fine when playing with other dogs in my office only when he's bored and needed he starts but never did this before

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's a 7 month Pomeranian and not neutered

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/18/2017
Dog Trainer: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. He is at that age where dogs will go into sexual maturity. It is very likely that there is an intact female dog in heat somewhere. Dogs can detect that a long ways away in most instances. If he is acting normal otherwise, that is most likely the case. It could be due to something causing him anxiety. Any changes in or outside the house could do it. There could also be something outside that he wants to get to, like a squirrel or rabbit. It may help to follow him outside and see where he goes. Put him on leash even. You can always have him neutered as well to see if it stops. If you were planning on getting it done anyway, now is as good a time as any. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you! He has traveled and lived in multiple places over the last 7 months of his life, but I have recently moved from an apartment with 7 roommates (where he got a lot of attention in a big home) to now a small apartment with just me and him. Yesterday I took him for a 3hr walk and in the evening he just kept whining and howling at the door (and scratching at the door). The moment he scratched I took him around the block to pee, but when we got back inside he started whining again. He's been whining like this for 2 weeks and it's getting worse (specifically yesterday and today). He's in the office with me today with other dogs (none are female) and when he isn't being played with by a human or dog, he just whines.Do you think if I neuter him this behavior will go away? It seems like all he wants to do is go outside but it's never enough
He's also peepad trained

You are welcome. If this is due to a female in heat out there somewhere, it should definitely stop the behavior if neutered. Otherwise, it is always difficult to predict if neutering will change other behaviors, especially now that they have learned them. It is worth a shot, though. There is definitely something outside he wants. The good news is that if it is just one female dog in heat, that should stop soon. Let me know if you need anything else.

Okay great, thank you for your help!

You are very welcome.