Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a 11yr old male hound an a 2yr old female Shepard…

Customer Question
I have a 11yr old...
I have a 11yr old male hound an a 2yr old female Shepard mix. Last night our hound attacked our Shepard...scared me to death. He also did it again today when I was giving him a treat and she walked towards us. Help please ...
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/16/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 7 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long have you had both dogs?

Has the male had any recent health issues?

How about the female?

Is the female fixed?

How close did she get before he attacked?

Has she had obedience training?

Is the male neutered?

I've had the hound for 5 yrs and the Shepard for 1 1/2.
No health issues...itchy skin a little.
No health issues with female.
Yes she is fixed.
My neighbor came in the front door, he said they came from opposite sides of the room to the door, the female gets excited when anyone comes to the door.
No obedience trading except me teaching her to come when we are outside.
Yes he is fixed.
They were next to each other when he attacked her.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

You have had him longer and by default he would be the top dog in the household. As a result he would get to eat first, get affection first, and basically get to do what he wanted. The female would be lower in the pack order at least initially. As the leader it would be his job to also let her know when he felt she was misbehaving.

To me, it sounds like she overstepped her boundaries by not letting him get to the neighbor first and as a result he reprimanded her for what he considered disrespect from her. If they have previously been fine with one another, it may be that she didn't push her boundaries before but now that he is getting older and she is in the prime of her life, she might be testing him to ensure he is still the alpha and most dominant one. Testing would include ttying to get a treat first, go through a door first or even pushing past him to get to a person. These would all be seen by the male as signs of disrespect and not to be tolerated. If he let her get away with not obeying him, she would disobey even more until she was the boss of the household.

This also happens when an alpha dog become elderly since they are no longer the best choice for top dog. Fights will usually continue until one dog submits to the other. It can be hard for an elderly dog to give up their position so often fights continue.

Obedience training can help you control your dogs without having to try and physically separate them. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Learning body language can also help you understand what the dogs are transmitting to each other with the set of their ears, the position of their tails and other posture. If you see dominant or aggressive postures, you can give commands to bring them down to calmer states of mind and head off any fight. Read about this here:

https://apdt.com/pet-owners/dog-park/body-language/

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/interpret.html

http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/dogbodylanguage

Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

If the fights continue, you might want to get him checked over for more serious health issues. In the meantime start obedience training and monitor their body language to help ensure you are stopping potential fights from even starting.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Jeannine Ferrara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Wyatt. How is everything going?
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 6 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.