Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

We just brought in my brother in laws yorkie - bichon mix.

Customer Question
We just brought in...

We just brought in my brother in laws yorkie - bichon mix. She is over all good. However, she does have some guarding issues either with the couch/bed or it's my husband/myself when people or our Labradoodle come near the couch or bed. If our Labradoodle is on the couch or bed first she does not do it. If I am there I grab her and flip her on her back and tell her to stop and rub her belly. This works in the moment but she continues to do this at other times. She only weighs about 6 pounds so she if easy to grab and flip. My brother in law said she did it when he had her as well. He used the spray bottle which worked in the moment but she would repeat at other times. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Avery and she just turned 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Avery?

She eats well. My doodle is a male. He made it very clear on day 2 that he was boss when she went at him. He just ignores her. She is getting more comfortable with him as the days go on. She has been with us for about 2 weeks. If I can't get her guarding under control we will probably give her back to my brother in law. We took because he travels a lot. I feel she has a more stable environment with us. I think he took her in the car a lot and she is not fond of that. She shakes and pants.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/11/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated

What type of obedience training do you do with her?

Is flipping her over the only thing you have tried?

My brother in law tried the water in a spray bottle which again works in the moment but the behavior happens again I also tried nudging her with 2 fingers but that didn’t phase her.

Thank you for that information. Nudging, squirting or poking are just interrupters and that is why they do not work long term. It's much like seeing the dog eat the couch cushion for the 100th time and shouting NO, it just interrupts the behavior.

To change the behavior you need to do training and prevention.

I am going to suggest that you train his dog daily, and this is not to teach him something she already knows, this is to put you at the top of the heap in the family. I would train for five to ten minutes a couple times a day. I would make sure she knows the cue Off, and leave it , so you can get her off furniture with the cue, and you can give the leave it cue if you see that she is going to growl. So leave it has to be taught for everything from food, to toys to home objects and should be taught to 100% accuracy .

I would also put the dog on the learn to earn program. This will mean she does not have access to the couch , bed or any furniture anymore and anything she tries to claim should be removed.

I am going to direct you to sites for training with a clicker which is a positive method and most dogs respond well and to the learn to earn program. Eventually this will become your routine with the dog and it is very important that everyone in the home abides by what rules/training you set forth or you will wind up with the same problem.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Clicker leave it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

What do I do about her sleeping with us? I would have to put her in her travel carrier at night but I’m not sure where I would put her where we wouldn’t hear her.Am I starting with the clicker training?What training treats work well? She only weighs 6 pounds. She eats for me but she is not crazy about dog treats.

Thank you for that reply.

Out her in her crate by the side of your bed. We do not want her to sleep on the bed as it is a possession for her.

Yes start with clicker training and work that training in as you go about your day at home. You can work it in when cooking, watching TV, doing odds and ends in the home so she sees that this goes for every room in the house:)

I have used soft dog treats , various kinds, but if that does not work then use slivers of turkey dogs or chicken. There is also a dog food you can find in the refrigeration parts of Target in the dog food aisle that is like a roll of meat, that can be cut up into treats as well.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist