Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I moved in with my sister and now there are three dogs. Two…

Customer Question
Hi I moved in...

Hi I moved in with my sister and now there are three dogs. Two females and one male. The male and my female is not spay. My female was is season which of course got the male excited. My question is when all dogs are in the same room my female growls at him fiercely so we keep them separated. My dog has to stay in my bedroom for hours then we switch and her dog is blocked in the hallway. How do we keep my dog from growling so we don't have to keep them apart and we can take down the wall?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

She was in season for 3 weeks. What can I do to get her to stop growling at him when we have them in the same room? We do that to she if she is back to normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't, she just doesn't want him near her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

All I know is this is the first time that she went into season twice this year. I think she is about 4 years old. Plus we had to move here. We moved here in June of this year so having two new companions is new. All 3 dogs have gotten along until she went into season.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

Yes she is but he is not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your dog behaving differently?

Only around the male dog. She does not want him anywhere near her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 2 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation.

Unfortunately while she is in heat you cannot get her to stop growling at him and you should keep them separated. Eventually , if you are not going to breed her have her spayed because what will happen is eventually it will cause tension between all three dogs and you will have some pretty nasty fights.

Breeders keep their pups in separate kennels for reasons, so that they are not in close proximity to other dogs as unwanted pregnancies and unwanted fights will break out.

When you have dogs that live in the same home together it is always suggested that you send one of the dogs away while in season if you have no separate place to keep them.

If they are allowed together now and they continue to growl at each other, you are actually having them learn a specific behavior when they are around each other and this is to fight/ not like each other and it can continue long after this heat period.

Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer