Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

We have a 5 year old Rottweiler who is a dominant female and…

Customer Question
We have a 5...

We have a 5 year old Rottweiler who is a dominant female and we have a new puppy and we r having trouble with her aggression towards it. She begins drooling uncontrollably and shaking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

Riley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Riley?

She is protective

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Training
12/10/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What you are describing is not unusually. A younger dog to an older dog is like a toddler to a Teenager, they will likely work it out as the puppy grows and begins to develop some manners and obedience.

If you are not yet training the puppy I would begin doing this. This will help the puppy with impulse control , which will help with the older dog. I would do clicker training and I will direct you to a link below. If possible once you get the puppy started , invite the older dog to join in a short session.

As for the older dog, make sure she has a firm Leave it command in place and use this if you see things are going south between the two.

Dogs are rarely protective of people in a nasty way, but they are possessive of people in a nasty way with other dogs, and sometimes people. They can be possessive over toys, bones, space , food, humans , etc. To stop this ,put the older dog on the learn to earn program so she has nothing to possess. She will then have to start deferring to you for appropriate behavior. I will direct you to a link for further reading.

Keep their time together limited, using baby gates to keep them separated. Keep all of their time together positive through walks , play or training.

I think the sooner the puppy learns some commands the older dog will do better.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Clicker leave it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

We are training the puppy and keeping the time around each other minimal right now cause he's so small and she's really big, we just don't want her to nip at him and hurt him and we were unsure how to get her adjusted to a new pup

You are doing it right. Limit time, try to have a plan of things to do with both of them when they are together, such as walking, playing fetch(controlled games) or training.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.