Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

Have just adopted a 3yo mini poo mix male rescue / he has…

Customer Question
Have just adopted a...

Have just adopted a 3yo mini poo mix male rescue / he has aggression issues we believe in possessive category . He’s been in home for 3 days - goes from sweet & loving to severe aggression w/ humans & better w our 1 senior female boxer tho nipped her day 1. These are actual bites that puncture skin . Trying to use crate for feeding & rest periods - unable to pick up at times after biting to crate as he rebites . Have called 5 animal behavior lists in area day 2 & no one will take this on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Boxer's name?

The boxer or the new rescue ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boxer?

I’m not concerned about the boxer ?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Training
Just to note the behavior escalated immediately from calm to aggressive . For instance , walk , fed & played w/ our senior dog ( rescue abit antagonistic in play - the sr boxer is very calm non alpha - we are sitting on sofa & he jumps up & but face .
Or - walk by his crate to open & he jumps up to bite . It’s just random - comes out of nowhere
8220; bit face “
12/10/2017
Dog Trainer: Dr. Schmidt, Associate Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Associate Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this with your new rescue dog. These types of situations can be very difficult and scary. Give me a couple of minutes to type my response.

Alright

It sounds like from what you're describing that your rescue boxer has aggression issues that likely stem from him being territorial. This will probably require some medication to help lower his anxiety and a lot of training as well. The thing I would do first is work on training the rescue boxer on his own away from the older boxer. Start with basic commands like sit, stay, come etc. Once he gets those down, he might be easier to handle around your older boxer because he will hopefully be more focused on you. He will likely still need some anxiety medication to help with his aggression. I would recommend taking him to the vet for a work up. They will likely need to sedate him and do some bloodwork to make sure he doesn't have any underlying medical issues and to do a physical exam on him.

No - I requested info on the 3 yo mini poo male rescue .
I only provided the senior boxer info as it’s significant for you to know that there is another dog in the home & her personality . The boxer is of no concern she’s a healthy well adjusted calm senior

I think I clicked into the wrong question, I apologize. I will opt out so another expert can answer.

24 hours ?
I utilized this site as it’s sunday & I am seeking some insight this morning not in 24 hours .
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 7 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help. Do you still need help with this matter? If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Do you know much about your new poodle mix?

Is he neutered?

Food and territory aggression is not uncommon but if he jumps up on your furniture to try and bite, that would not be territorial aggression.

Are the other dogs spayed or neutered?

Has this dog had any obedience training that you know of?

I am assuming the calm senior boxer is much larger than the new rescue, correct?

Was food present when any of these episodes occurred?

Has any medical tests been run on your new male?

I'm sure the behaviorists you talked to gave you an idea of the severity of what you are seeing since they didn't want to even attempt to help, so it will take me some time to type my suggestions and training plan once I have your responses back. I do hope you can be patient.