Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have an 18 month old fox terrier and am trying to

Customer Question
I have an 18...

I have an 18 month old fox terrier and am trying to introduce a 8 week old puppy but foxy keeps nipping her and when she squeals gets quite rough pushing and nipping her more puppy sometimes is frightened other times snaps back at the older dog is she bullying or just playing afraid she may hurt puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name?

Vixie is the fox terrier zeta is the cesky terrier puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

Puppy has been well socialised for first 8 weeks and been with other adult dogs than her mum and no problem with my other 3 dogs just the fox terrier

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Training
11/22/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 5 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What are the ages, sexes of all the dogs and their reproductive capabilities?

Please be sure to let me know which one is the fox terrier.

Has the fox terrier had any obedience training?

Which dog is the boss of the house?

'

I have an 18 month old fox terrier and am trying to introduce a 8 week old puppy but foxy keeps nipping her and when she squeals gets quite rough pushing and nipping her more puppy sometimes is frightened other times snaps back at the older dog is she bullying or just playing afraid she may hurtpuppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

Puppy has been well socialised for first 8 weeks and been with other adult dogs than her mum and no problem with my other 3 dogs just the fox terrier the fox terrier is 18 months old unsprayed and lives with my 3 other dogs unsprayed 3 years old poochon, 15 year old schnauzer spayed and 16month unspayedcoton de tuleur . the puppy is cesky terrier zeta 8 weeks old. fox terrier is very rough and keeps nipping her as though playing sometimes they play ok but when fox nips and gets rough with puppy and she squeals fox seems to get aggravated and rougher any suggestions puppy play and is fine with all other dogs as is the fox terrier ecept odd scabbles with coton

Hi again,

I was off line yesterday. I apologize for any delay.

Dogs between a year and 18 months usually start testing their boundaries. They may not obey their owner immediately or they will start trying to improve their place in the pack. When they do this, they will display dominance toward lower ranking dogs and usually younger dogs are lower in the pack and pups are younger. As a younger dog matures, they will start showing dominance toward other dogs and if they can dominate them they are no longer the lowest member of the pack. I suspect this is what is going on with your fox terrier especially since you say she is also testy with the 16 month old dog from time to time as well.

What you need to do is start obedience training with the fox terrier and I would recommend it for all the dogs in the household. You don't need formal training classes at this point, though it would be helpful at a later date to train with him around other dogs not in your household. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

In most cases adult dogs won't harm a young puppy, but they do reprimand them to teach them how to interact with adult dogs. Pups tend to not respect other dogs boundaries so when they do things that would not be tolerated if they were older, the other dogs in the household will growl and if that is ignored (which it often is by pups), then the dogs nip or even connect with the pup. Even if they don't connect or physically hurt the pup, the pup will squeal and carry on as if they were hurt. It is just what pups do to acknowledge the reprimand.

If there is no blood being drawn, then I would just monitor them pretty closely and start obedience training the fox terrier so you can verbally command him back to you if he starts to reprimand the pup. You should also train the pup as they learn extremely fast at this age and if you can stop him jumping on the other dog, or trying to enter the fox terriers space or eating his food which are not acceptable behaviors, you will head off any reprimands by the adults.

You can also keep a leash attached to the fox terrier and use it to stop altercations and separate the dogs. Obedience training is the most effective method of stopping the problem though.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist