Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a 9 year old Rottie who has been housebroken for

Customer Question
I have a 9...

I have a 9 year old Rottie who has been housebroken for years. Recently she has started pooping in the house. I let her out frequently and after every meal, but when she returns to the house or during the night she eliminates. I'm at my wits end - I don't know how to retrain her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

He name is*****: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Sheva?

She is starting to have some issues like arthritis in her forearm and her hind legs are becoming weak. The vet has recently put her on carprofen.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Training
11/19/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated. I am reviewing your question now.

If she is having problems with hind end weakness then this may be playing a part in what is going on. She may not really know she has to go or that it is actually coming out. If it is due to a disease of muscle wasting or disc issues , there may be very little you can do to stop it.

Another possibility is given her age she is suffering from canine cognitive dysfunction (CCD) which is like human dementia. With this dogs that were perfectly potty trained often forget that prior training. This too makes it hard to stop the process.

I would have the Vet look at both of the above as possible problems.

With CCD it is best to write down anything different that the dog is displaying such as getting stuck in corners, forgetting which side of the door to go out, staring at nothing, etc. It is the unusual habits that help make a diagnosis of CCD.

At this point I might try to get a bowel schedule down by adding some canned pumpkin to a morning meal so hopefully she will get everything out by night fall. I would also be gating her in an easy to clean area if she is not crate trained. Again when we are dealing with an aged dog there is more the chance that health is causing it than the do purposely forgetting it's skills .

Thank you for your response. I thought it might be something relating to the muscle weakness in her hind end. She hasn't shown any signs of CCD. I've also thought about confining her in a smaller space at night but I don't want to stress her out - however, I may have to. She has always eaten 2 small meals a day (along with her son). I don't know if this change in her dietary habits will cause a problem. But it might do well to feed her evening meal earlier and then add the pumpkin per your suggestion.
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 7 months ago

At this point you've nothing to loose by trying it. I wish you much luck.