Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

He is a male healer and part lab anytime he is around the…

Customer Question
He is a male...

He is a male healer and part lab anytime he is around the other healer in house or other dogs out side he charges at definily fights with other healer i cant just get rid of him cause he is my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Waylon and will be three in jan

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Waylon?

2 and 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Waylon?

He is very pretective of me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Training
11/19/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 8 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Do you still need help with Waylon?

If so, I do have some questions for you.

Waylon is 2yr 8 months and male. Is he intact (not neutered)?

The other dog in the house is how old, what sex and intact or not?

Was the other dog in the house before you got Waylon?

What are the breeds, sex and reproductive status of the dogs outside or is it any dog he sees outside?

Has he had any obedience training?

Is he protective of you as far as other dogs go or people or both?

I need help and he is neutertered we have 5 other dogs in house he gets along with except the othe male healer who is 5 years old no training and it's any dogs outside but once he engages runs back to me not harming any protective of me

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

I suspect that your dog either has taken over the top position or attempting to take over the top place in the house. As a result, he feels the need to reprimand the other male healer to strengthen his position in the pack. The top dog gets to eat first, get treats first, and even gets attention first. Any dog who used to be the top dog has a hard time changing their behavior to allow a new leader the privileges. Each time a former dog acts like the boss and doesn't let the new boss do things first, the new boss (waylon) feels he has to put the older dog in his place with a reprimand and if it doesn't work, then nips and attacks.

In some cases, an existing top dog won't give up their position in the pack and as a result, the fighting between the two dogs continues to go on and on. Usually it is best to let them sort things out on their own if no blood is being drawn. if it is though or injuries are occurring you do have to stop the behavior. One way of controlling Waylon will be to get him obedience trained.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Once trained you should be able to control him with commands to help prevent his rushing other dogs or even the other dog in the house. It would be helpful to train the other healer as well. Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

Another thing that will be helpful is to learn body language. It will allow you to determine what the dogs are transmitting to each other that you do not know about.

https://apdt.com/pet-owners/dog-park/body-language/

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/interpret.html

http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/dogbodylanguage

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 7 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.