Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My dog has always been aggressive to other dogs and people i…

Customer Question
My dog has always...

My dog has always been aggressive to other dogs and people i walk her on long lead but is getting to stronge for me i cant rehome her should i have her put to sleep she is 4 years only now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Meg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meg?

No she has been brough up in family and round grandchild but nasty to anyone she does know

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 day by:
11/17/2017
Dog Trainer: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you describe the aggression you're seeing in her?

When out walking growls and barks and pulls towards othet dogs and snaps at people sometimes if anyone enters house and doesnt know them running barking and snapping at them anyone walking passed barks and run and jumps at window

Thank you for the additional information. Has Meg been evaluated by a behaviorist and training options discussed in order to quell this behavior? Has she ever bitten anyone?

I had a one to one trainer but he cant do anything she has not bitten anyone badly nipped someone before catch her and put her outway xx

Is this trainer a behaviorist?

What was specifically said about their capacity to help her?

he said she was afraid and a didnt know how to change her ways

I don't think you would be wrong to consider euthanasia. It's going to be the fastest and most effective way to approach her aggression is going to be euthanasia. That being said, this solution is permanent and we typically only recommend it when all routes have been exhausted. Seldom do behaviorists give an "I don't know" answer to customers unless they've worked heavily with the owner and the pet, including boarded training where the dog is with the behaviorist full-time until the behaviors are addressed. If this has already happened, you may wish to consult with another behaviorist in the area before electing euthanasia. If you choose to go this route, I can help you find one. I'll need your location to be able to assist.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Meg doing today?

Im at work she was not bad yesterday on our walk she only went for one dog walked passed few others ok she is so up and down never know what going to do day to day

I understand. If you'd like my help on finding a 2nd opinion from another behaviorist in your area, please let me know. I think that would be the best route to go before electing a permanent solution.

Dog Trainer: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse