Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My dog Khaleesi, is a 2 year old pit terrier mix. And a few

Customer Question
Hi so my dog Khaleesi...
Hi so my dog Khaleesi, is a 2 year old pit terrier mix. And a few months ago we had an incident where my roommate’s boyfriend, well ex boyfriend now, provoked her and backed her up into a corner and got into her face while I wasn’t home. She’s only met the guy once. And he doesn’t have the best history with men. She attacked him in the face. And she’s never been aggressive before I have her around children whom been all in her face and grabs her tail and she’s completely fine. But after this incident she’s just been kind of sad and I make sure to let her know that’s she’s mine and nothing like that will ever happen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Khaleesi?
Customer: She started gaining a lot of weight recently. And she’s not on a different dog food every now and then I’ll give her a piece of my food but that’s very rare.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Training
10/18/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 month ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I've read your post and can you clarify what your question is for me?

Has she had obedience training?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question is what is something I can do to make her stop being Moppy and walking around like she’s always in trouble.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Barely.

Thanks I thought that might be the case but wanted to clarify that. I'm typing up your response now.

It seems right now that she may have lost her self confidence when the ex decided to corner her and make her defend herself. This can make a dog unsure of whether they are acting appropriately or not. Since most owners discourage biting no matter the circumstances your dog likely feels she did something wrong.

To help her gain self confidence again the best course of action is to step up your work on obedience training. If she already knows her commands then I would do a group class. If she does not have them down pat yet, work with her at home first. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Obedience training helps he understand exactly what you and everyone that uses commands wants from her when they say a specific command. This helps her become more self confident as she knows what to expect regardless of who gives the command. Now the actual classes are not so much to teach obedience but to teach her to obey even with distractions and also to teach her that strangers and other people she meets are not going to be like your ex boyfriend and corner her.

After an experience where she needed to defend herself she is likely to be a bit uneasy around men that are similar to your ex in the way they smell to her and sound. So having her around a lot of strange men in a controlled environment will help her see that they are not a threat to her. Now dogs are opportunistic as well. If you treat her differently and reassure her and pay her more attention because of the way she is acting, she will continue to exhibit that behavior in order to get the attention from you. Ignore the behavior instead and reward the desired behavior with extra attention and calm praise. I think you will see improvement fairly quickly with the training and change in when you pay her attention.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 21 days ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist