Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I can’t get my little Yorkie to stop baking, can you help me…

Customer Question
I can’t get my...

I can’t get my little Yorkie to stop baking, can you help me .She’s two years old and she barks at everything

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She appears nervous she just barks at everything

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She doesn’t hurt, her she just likes to bark

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Martini

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Martini?

She’s a nervous little dog and she likes to be around me all the time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Training
10/5/2017
Dog Trainer: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long have you owned Martini?

How long has this been a concern?

Has she had any formal training?

Can you describe what socialization she's had?

I have owned
I have had Martini since she was born . she has always been a barker. She has had no formal training. She has a sister and we also have a Cairn terrier that is seven . They have always all been together. Their socialization is only with each other and us
This has been a concern for about eight months

You're in a bit of a pickle with your situation and Martini. Most dogs who are nervous barkers do so for lack of socialization and exposure to external stimulus. So, noises like the neighbors talking outside, closing of car doors, barking dogs, etc. will all stimulate her to bark. Additionally, with no training structure, it's likely that your communication with her is met with limited understanding even if you tell her not to bark. At 2 years of age, this behavior is also apt to be well-seated.

I would urge you to reach out to a training center in your area (which I can help you find, if needed) to start with basic training. This will help to socialize her with dogs and people that are not you. It will also help to give her exposure to noises she is otherwise not exposed to. Over time, with more exposure to the world around her, she will be less likely to react to all noises and stimulation with barking. We also encourage dogs to be taken out of their home for visits to pet stores and such for positive stimulation. Your training facility may also recommend that she sits through puppy socialization classes and other age groups of dogs where she might enjoy playing. This can help to foster a positive view on other dogs, noises and such outside of what she's normally exposed to. At home, redirection may help. You can have her focus on something else to do instead of barking at noises. If she begins barking, call her attention away with a command "Martini, come" and guide her in to another room that's more quiet and give her something to do such as playing with a toy or chewing on a bully stick, for example. This will at least give you the ability to stop the action while it's happening so that it does not continue.

It’s the squirrels and the birds we can’t get her away from also, she literally flips out when she sees them . Also she plays with her two sisters and is extremely intelligent and knows what she’s doing and also thinks she is protecting me

Training should help with this, as well. Once you're able to establish a firm "no" that she responds to, you can use her intelligence to teach her that she should not be barking at the squirrels and birds. The toughest part is establishing the understanding of right from wrong to a point where she will respond accordingly.

It may also be of good use to have a behaviorist visit your home and watch the behaviors in action to help you establish how to react when a situation occurs directly in your home.

Thank you very much

You're welcome. If you'd like help finding either in your area, just let me know.

I would

Can you give me your city and state?

North Waterboro,Maine 04061

Facilities to consider in your area that appear to offer exactly what Martini needs:

1) http://www.finishforwarddogs.com
2) http://www.thecapablecanine.com

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse