Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

She barks when I'm not home every time the lift door opens.

Customer Question
She barks when I'm...

She barks when I'm not home every time the lift door opens. I have trained her not to barks and she doesn't do it when I'm with her only when I'm not home and she hears noises on the aisle. Is debating my sole option since I live in a condo and the manager just complained?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the sole's name and age?

Sophie almost 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?

Mix breed between Belgian shepherd mallinois and something else she is quite energetic and when she was just ,months old she threw herself from our former building as a puppy from the 5th flood they just had to fix her knee

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Training
10/5/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 10 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Debarking is not the only option. In addition, many dogs who have been debarked are still able to bark but it is softened and in some cases the dog later in life can bark again. It can be difficult to find a surgeon willing to perform a debarking surgery as well. They can be found and if you need to find one, I may be able to help if you give me a zip code where you are. It won't be immediate as I would need to contact surgeons in your area personally.

Now one option is to use a bark collar on her. They must be fit properly and if there is a lot of hair where the contacts hit, then it has to be shaved so the contacts hit the skin. They make collars that deliver a small shock for a correction and others that apply a spray of citronella as a reprimand if the dog continues to bark. The collars generally emit a tone first and if a dog continues to bark, then they deliver the correction. After a few corrections, most dogs learn to not bark once they hear the tone. At that point you can switch the collar to tone only.

Since you are not home to give the reprimand, there isn't much training that can be done and surgery or the bark collars are your best solution.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.