Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My Labrador is getting aggressive. He grabs things in his…

Customer Question
My Labrador is getting...

My Labrador is getting aggressive

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Labrador?

He grabs things in his mouth especially food and if we try to get it away or out of his mouth growls and snaps ..tries to bite as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Labrador's name and age?

Bruno he is 10 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?

He is sweet otherwise the only thing is his stubbornness when it is anything related to food

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Training
10/1/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 8 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is he aggressive if you go near his food bowl?

What obedience training has he had?

how often do you work with him?

Is he neutered?

He is not nuetered doesn't get aggressive of you go near the bowl. Gets aggressive of he has picked up something in his mouth and we want him to release it

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. I am typing up your reply now.

Neutering as soon as you are able to might help the situation. Often when a dog learns they can intimidate people by growling they will continue to do so as they mature into an adult. So it is best to take care of this as soon as possible.

If he hasn't had obedience training, I would start as soon as possible. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

This will help him see you as the boss and obey your commands better. In addition, the boss makes the decisions and the dog will be inclined to not growl at the boss. Additional training will help as well. The leave it command is best for this situation.

http://www.volhard.com/pages/leave-it-command.php

You can train for the leave it command alone but it works best if the dog is being trained in obedience as well. Even if he has had some training you will want to continue practice sessions daily at least for a couple of years.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.