Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I'm recovering from surgery at my daughter's house. My dog

I'm recovering from surgery at my daughter's house. My dog has become aggressive (barking and growling) at my son-in-law since I moved in. Previously the dog liked him.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your daughter's dog?
Customer: Uh, I believed I said, "my dog" and I also said what the problem was. Did you read what I wrote?
JA: Where does your daughter's dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Are you on drugs?
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Are you a person?
JA: Is your daughter's dog eating normally?
Customer: Hello - can I talk with a real person?
JA: Is your daughter's dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: f**k you
JA: How is your daughter's dog behaving differently?
Customer: Are you a real person?
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Real person, please
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your daughter's dog?
Customer: NOT MY DAUGHTER'S DOG!!!!!!

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I am reviewing your question and may need some clarification in a minute.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure, thanks.

OK. I have read the question and apologize for the autoresponders incorrect questions.

Has your dog had any obedience training?

Does your daughter have any dogs of her own?

What breed is your dog?

Is he neutered?

Do you know of anything your son in law may have done to your dog such as reprimanded him verbally or physically for accidents in the house or maybe stepping on him by accident?

Can you describe an instance where your dog is growling at him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry for my response to the bot. In my defense, I AM on drugs. :)Buddy, a neutered Min Pin/Corgy mix is a rescue and about 11 months old. I've had him about 4 months. He seems much more lery of men in general, but loves all children. I work with him a lot - he sits and lies down with both verbal and hand signals, walks well on a leash, has been socialized by always going with me and attending lots of functions such as street fairs, fetches and comes when called (80% of the time when playing with other dogs). He is a barker and vigilant watchdog at home. I've been working on the yard barking by calling him inside when he starts to a cookie or toy and pets. He comes running most of the time.
There are no other dogs in the household. I'm also here with my cat. The cat is completely relaxed here, and they are good friends.
Buddy has spent time with Sky (my son-in-law) both visiting here and on vacation and liked him. He always barks at him when he comes into the house and when he gets up in the morning, but then stops and is friendly. I spent the night here before the surgery and Buddy displayed his typical behavior. I came home the next day and am bedridden. That evening when Sky came home Buddy went blistic and hasn't stopped since. Buddy lays on the bed and growls whenever he hears Sky moving around. Sky brings me coffee in the morning and Buddy sits on the bed growling and barking. He will take cookies from him, then back up and bark. Sky hasn't stepped on him or anything like that. I don't believe there is any danger of Buddy biting or nipping him, as Sky will pet him while he's growling safely.
Buddy is more vigilant here, barking at any noise outside and, again, going ballistic over the mailman and deliveries.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it an extra $28 for you to call me?

I believe so, but I generally am unable to do phone calls and prefer this format of back and forth chatting as I can give supporting sites.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
BTW, was the $28 just for this or a monthly subscription?

I think that was just for this question. I'm about half way through my answer to you and working on the behavior modification part of it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks!

At your own home, your dog was in his own territory and your son in law was just a visitor. Your dog was comfortable in his own place and thus could be friendly toward your son in law. Even if you were visiting at your daughter's place with your dog, your dog was not "living" there and thus was himself a visitor and thus establishing visiting behavior.

Now when you came home to your daughters house, your dog recognized that you are not in the best physical shape and was recovering. As a result, he has gone into protective mode. Canines in the wild often will push infirm dogs out of the pack thus being sure a sick or injured animal doesn't affect the packs ability to hunt and survive. These behavior patterns are seen in domesticated dogs as well from time to time. As a result, a bonded dog will protect his human when they are injured or ill if they feel there may be a threat. Since your son-in-law is likely the boss of this household, he would be the likely one you would need protecting from in your dog's mind.

Now to correct it will take some time and it is good he has had training. That will help. If it is possible, have your son in law work with him a bit on obedience training rewarding his obedience with tiny hot dog slivers. The following site is helpful in helping people train dogs. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html This training will help your dog see that your son in law is to be obeyed and what to expect from your son in law and not trigger the protection mode as much. It will also establish your son-in-law as your dog's boss as well. As his boss, your dog should not be reprimanding him or trying to control him with barking, growling and lunging. The other thing you can do is keep a leash on him while he is with you on the bed. When he barks, growls or lunges, give a firm low toned "NO" and a short tug on the leash and have your son in law just stand there. When your dog stops the behavior, give him a tiny hot dog sliver as a reward for not barking. If he doesn't start the behavior, go ahead and give him lots of calm praise and a treat. If Sky can enter the room without triggering a response at a certain distance, start at that distance so your dog realizes that not reacting gets him the treat and reacting gets him a reprimand from you. Between that behavior modification training and Sky working with your dog on obedience away from you, the situation should resolve pretty quickly. In many case it is resolved in just a few days. I'm not sure how long you will be in recovery but it will help for any future times you need to stay at their house as well. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What you say makes perfect sense and we'll work on it. Thanks

You are very welcome.