Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a 2 yr old registered Doberman Pinscher male that I…

Customer Question
I have a 2 yr...
I have a 2 yr old registered Doberman Pinscher male that I raised since he was 8 weeks old. His bloodline is Czechoslovakian and Russian. He is from a reputable Breeder. He is not neutered, but I have him scheduled to be at the end of September 2017. He has a problem nipping me and sometimes to the point of drawing blood. He began this behavior at the age of around 8 months. His behavior is random, but occurs sometimes when we are outside playing or the doorbell will ring and I am going to answer the door. Scenario seems to be when he gets overly excited or angry. I have tried several different approaches to end this type of behavior. What are some of your ideas, please?Thank you,
Barbara Hicks
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Training
9/19/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 11 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello Barbara, and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Please tell me what you have tried so far.

What commands does he know?

If outside and he nips then I will verbally in a strong voice tell him "no bite" and put him in the house. If inside, then I will once again use the same phrase as mentioned and try to crate him. He then will wreck havoc inside his crate by barking, scratching and biting at the crate door.

Thank you for that information. After sending my information request I started to work on your answer to try to save MY typing wait time for you:)

I would try teaching him the leave it command which when taught to be 100% firm tells the dog to take its mind off of what it wants (or wants to do) and put its attention back on the owner to await another command. In other words it can stop a dog dead in its tracks from doing an undesired behavior. From that point , you want to tell the dog the desired behavior you want to see. For this particular dog I would do a ‘go to bed’ cue for inside the home, and for outside, I would get a drop- stay in place cue in place. Then when you have reached your desired place to be (after answering the door, walking inside the house from the yard, etc.) then you give a release command. Only when you give a release command can the dog get up. This will give the dog a chance to curb its impulse control .

I might also invest in toys that help a dog with impulse control such as puzzles where the dog has to figure out what to do in order to get the treat that is hidden.

Are you familiar with Clicker training for dogs?

I have tried commands and it is hard to do while being bit!
Is someone responding?

This just means you are using commands before they are actually learned and listened to 100% by the dog.

Usually as humans we don't give these commands until we are in the throws of a situation and then we expect the dog to perform. So the desired time to give these commands are when you are about to do something.

By this point you know that the dog is going to act out , usually there is some body language that the dog will show. You want to give the commands before the dog can move forward to this bad behavior.

have you tried clicker training at all?

I am sorry for delay in response, it takes a while to type , I have offered you a phone discussion for the minimal amount I am allowed to do so. This will make it easier for us to discuss this. If you wish to continue this way that is fine also, but know that it takes time to type out a detailed answer

I have a dentist appointment and have to get ready to leave. Can we continue in about 1.5 hours? At this point, I am sorry, but am not satisfied so far. I have tried the commands. What is next?

Yes we can continue later. I would like to know more information when you have more time.

I will await a reply from you this evening. If you could tell me everything you have tried , how often you train the dog it would be helpful

There is also a product you can use to spray your clothes or skin that deter a dog from biting which we can discuss upon your return

Thank you. I will let you know when I am back home.

Hello I did not hear from you yesterday. I am hoping all is okay.

If you could tell me everything you have tried and are willing to to try I can better help you.

Please let me know what commands you use , what commands the dog knows and listens to all the time and how often you train the dog?

If you wish not to put any work into the dog thats fine as well, just let me know so I can turn in the question.