Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

For some reason my dog (I believe is maybe a great rat

Customer Question

Hi for some reason my dog (I believe is maybe a great rat terrier) and her dog is a lab mix. We have to keep them separated because of huge expensive fights. Most of the time, one of us get bit, trying to separate them. My dog can do some major damage to her dog. When visiting for a couple of months, they fought occasionally but since we moved in together, it would be all the time if they get together for two seconds. It's frustrating and I live in fear to wait to make sure I hear the gate clicks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mine is Jazzy and she is 4 years old. Her lab is Mya and she's 5 years old. She is the sweetest dog. Mine had always been very possessive and protective but has learned to get along with my small poodle that I had before her. She was found on the street when she was 9 months old so I don't know how she was treated prior.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mine is Jazzy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. Since it is the middle of the night here, I'll probably get you an answer tomorrow morning.

How much obedience training has both dogs had?

Did you introduce the dogs away from the house?

Did the lab move into the Terrier's home or vice versa or did you move into a new home to both dogs?

Is either dog spayed?

Who is the aggressor? If you do not know, let me know the circumstances around a few different incidents where fights occurred.

Normally rat terriers are not that large and labs are rather large, yet you say her dog is the one being injured? Is your dog a smaller dog or a larger terrier?

What have you tried to stop the aggression?