Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have an almost year old Shih Tzu and I have always carried…

Customer Question
I have an almost...

I have an almost year old Shih Tzu and I have always carried her out to potty, which I was told was not good but when I go to pick her up to go outside, she runs away and growls and tries to bite. She has never wanted to go outside to potty but always does it when she gets out there. I got her in the winter and it was either icy, snowy, rainy or just cold but it has carried now into the summer. She even growls at my granddaughters when they try to pick her up--I don't know what to do to try to stop it. This is my first Shih Tzu and first house dog so all of this is new to me. Always lived on a farm and had outside farm dogs. Lost my husband and needed a companion. Please help me--Thanks!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?

No she has really always not wanted to go outside to potty but the growling and biting has been going on for about 3-4 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Baylee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Baylee?

I think she is way smarter than me--Lol I took her to an obedience class but she didn't learn much. She was so easy to train to sit and shake and lay down to receive treats so I know she is smart and knows what she is doing. And she barks a lot too.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Training
9/17/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 11 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. It is the middle of the night so I'll likely not be able to answer until tomorrow morning. I hopt that is fine.

Was the obedience training you mentioned the only one she had?

How old was she at that time?

How often do you train with her?

Is she spayed?

Is she leashed trained?