Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

How do you get a dog to stop pulling on the leash while

How do you get...

How do you get a dog to stop pulling on the leash while walking her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes she is just so strong and energetic that she thinks she has to pull

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Isis (named before we knew what Isis was)I think she is 4 to5 not really sure she is my son's dog and I get to watch her and take her on walks,she is a rescue dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Isis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Isis?

She is great with kids and all people but not other dos unless we introduce her and not so much females

I tried to add more but im stupid on phones and computers and must have wiped it out sorry for taking up Your time
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/16/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

I have a couple of ideas for you to try.

The fist thing is to try a gentle leader. This act much like a halter that a horse wears, only it is for dogs. They are less likely to pull because now you control the head. It does take a while for them to get used to , so training them on it can help. For instance, have them wear it during times they eat, or play. Think about breaking up the daily meal into several smaller meals a day for a few days so you have a better chance of the dog getting used to it.

The next suggestion would be to train her how to heel on a lead. This can be done with clicker training and I suggest you first teach her in a non distracting spot then gradually build up to more distracting spots. To take her out now where other dogs are before she learns the command 100% would set her up to fail.

Because she does not care for other dogs, the next command to teach would be Leave it. This command works for many things, anything you want the dog to take their mind off of and put their attention back on you is when you would use this command.

Again has to be taught to 100% before use in public.

I am going to direct you to links on clickert training and in there will be the heel and leave it commands.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Clicker leave it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist