Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

Anxiety!! Bad anxiety around sounds he doesn't like, seeing

Anxiety!! Bad anxiety around sounds he doesn't like, seeing other dogs, strangers
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He's almost always got his tail between his legs, grinds his teeth a lot when he's scared, and cries whenever I leave the room and he can't get to me
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 6 month old bloodhound named jake
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jake
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: Gets aggressive if he's scared
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Need to know how to help him not be scared of everything, be more confident and if medication is an option and how to get it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's gone to bite people at the vet several times..I seem to be the only person he's okay around..with anyone else he can be unpredictable
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sometimes if I let him in the backyard and I go inside I'll look out the window to see him hiding in a corner shaking.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Do you know where Jake came from? Meaning was he a pet store dog, was he among a litter of a family dog that was brought in, etc?

How often are you training him and what method of training do you do with him?

When he goes to bite people, are they normally approaching him and he is backing away at first or how does that happen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi ! He was from a breeder in North Carolina she raises the puppies indoors and owns a farm breeds bloodhounds and labs. We have a bloodhound from another litter of hers as well and he doesn't get as anxious and scared like Jake does.
I don't use harsh training no electric collar or anything like that. I always try stern voice and making him sit and/or give me his paw before feeding him or petting him. I work from home so I'm with him all the time. He roams the house and goes outside for potty breaks. I walk him in the front yard where he sniffs the property and the outdoor cats. I give treats if he's doing something good. When he's scared I try not to coddle him I'll just talk to him or walk around so he can see I'm at ease.
He only goes to bite if people approach him yes. He'll huddle up against me with his legs shaky and try to get away from them. When at the vet when he's afraid he'll sniff people's legs and be ok but when they go to pet him and reach towards him or play with his ears (people are always fascinated with them cause he's got hound ears) he'll growl and or try to bite.

It sounds like the personality you picked was a fear aggressive one. Something that is not eaisly taken out of the dog.

Dogs see things that humans do as challenges, such as talking to, looking at or reaching out to pet. A fearful dogs magnifies that 100 times.

The best thing to do when people come over is to have them ignore the dog altogether and not approach it at all.

Medications sometimes work, but often times can have undesired effects and do not make the dog any more social.

I would suggest constant positive obedience training where you mark everything the dog does right from this point on so it helps the dog to build a little self esteem.

Just as people are born with personalities , so are dogs, and often times these personalities are not changed, though you can make things less frightening for him through training.

I would suggest that when people come over, they leave a treat for him , drop it on the floor with no other type of contact, as he may , as he grows, look forward to people coming and going, though he may or may not openly go up and greet them.

If you are not familiar with clicker training I would try this. IN some cases dogs are afraid of the click noise so then you can use one word such as Tip or Yes as the marker

I woudl also suggest you do some behavior adjustment training with him or find a training venue you can take him to, to work this out. Such classes help dogs overcome some fears.

Training -Behavior adjustment http://empoweredanimals.com/

http://empoweredanimals.com/BAT-basics.pdf

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Is the above understandable to you? Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you yes!!

You are very welcome. Have a nice night.