Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

We have a 3 year old pit-lab mix. We recently brought home a

Customer Question
we have a 3 year...
we have a 3 year old pit-lab mix. We recently brought home a shelter dog. 1ish pit-something mix (maybe some sort of hound) they get along pretty well, exept we have had 3 incidents where our first dog (Dexter) went after the new dog, Josie. They get pretty vicious with each other during these incidents. How do we stop this fighting? they play rough, but usually don't hurt each other. We have only had the 2nd dog for about a week.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Josie?
Customer: Josie is very sweet with us and usually with Dexter. The incidents happened when Josie started chewing Dexter's bone or toy... or loving up a friend Dexter feels close to...
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Training
9/15/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

It sounds like the fights start over items correct?

How are they if they are too close to humans?

How about if both are inside a small spot like a doorway?

Can you take a bone or food away from Dexter without incident?

Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer