Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My daughters' family has a two year old male English

My daughters' family has a...
My daughters' family has a two year old male English bulldog. There is another dog in the house (female), but was in the house when they got the bulldog. Suddenly, the dog has begun to growl at them, and now he has begun to run after their teenage daughter barking aggressively. I witnesses him growling at my 12 year old grandson who was approximately 10' away calmly in a chair. The boy was not making any advances to the dog and the dog began growling and shaking as if he were scared. The dog was at my feet under the coffee table at this time. I also witnessed the dog aggressively chase my granddaughter as she was walking at a fast pace around behind him. My daughter just called again and told me he did the same thing again when she was about to go upstairs. What can make a dog act like this after being on a household for almost 2 years?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He had a check up a few weeks ago and was neutered last week. Why do you say foot? I think there was a growth of some kind on his foot but not sure if they checked that.
JA: What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Kurtz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kurtz?
Customer: No.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What obedience training has he had?

Is he neutered?

Do you know if he sheds excessively?

Does he drink a lot of fluids?

Does it seem to be only children or did he act like that toward your daughter?

No training
Neutered 2-weeks ago
No shedding
Don't think so on excessive water
The chasing so far has only been the 16 year old daughter, but he has growled at all family members....started when the boy tried to get him out of his kennel and then at all family members that night who tried to call him out of the kennel.

If he was just neutered 2 weeks ago and this is happening since then I would suspect pain to be the issue. Dogs in pain can be short tempered and have bouts of sudden aggression. Dogs that have been neutered are usually kept inactive and crated for 7 days minimum to allow them to heal. The problem is that often once a dog sees that he can control people by growling or lunging, they will usually continue to do so to control the humans.

With no training though this might also be related to his becoming an adult and testing his boundaries with the people in the house hold. With male dogs this frequently starts happening around 18 months of age. They will start by not obeying known commands and then gradually work up to reprimanding humans for either trying to force him to do something he doesn't want to do or just for them being too close to him or not moving out of his way.

All dogs need obedience training and pit bulls even more so since others seem to feel they are an aggressive breed. I have rotties and know lots of pit bulls and owners of large strong willed dogs need to have them obedience trained to help stop the publics perception. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

They should start obedience training as soon as possible but not until he is healed from his surgery. It will take a little while for the testosterone to be reduced. They can use hot dog slivers as the treats. The adults should start the training and once he is listening to commands well, the kids can start participating with training so the dog sees them as his boss as well. It is not an overnight cure but should help.

Until he is trained, they can have him wear a basket muzzle anytime children are present. It allows a dog to breather normally, even eat and drink to a limited degree while providing safety for the children.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

This started happening before neutering and why they neutered in the first place.

Then it is likely to be behavioral and due to him being a male and not having any obedience training. Dogs are opportunistic and as I mentioned usually between 1 and 2 years of age they start testing their boundaries and try to become the boss of the house. Since it happened before the neutering then it is likely behavioral. If he is done healing from the neutering, then obedience training should start immediately. Classes are great but most of the training is done by the owners at home.

I just learned that Kurtz does shed a lot and drinks a lot of water.

Since that is the case they will want to look at having a thyroid panel done as hypothyroidism can lead to sudden aggression issues.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Took him to the vet today for a full check up and blood panel. Will know more tomorrow, but have the same advice regarding behavior. Hopefully they will follow through. Thanks for following up!

Let me know what the blood panel shows.

Ok, will do.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist