Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have two rescue dogs. They are good most of the time,

Customer Question
I have two rescue...

I have two rescue dogs. They are good most of the time, however, my small terrier-type female dog keeps tearing into my large chihuahua. He is very timid and protective of me, but he is hurt and upset when it happers. I have tried putting her in the crate when she does that, but it doesn't help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

My terrier, Sadie, and chihuahua, Benjamin

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sadie?

I don't know for sure, but I believe she may be about 4 or 5 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She is very smart, watches tv, and sort-of vocalizes with me about things. She just wandered into my house one day and we could not find her home. She can begin by staring at one of the more timid dogs and she controls Benjamin by staring him down.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Training
9/14/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What have you tried to stop it?

What commands does the dog know?

Sadie is so upset that I have to pull her off of him. I have tried the crate, but I don't think it is helping. She knows no, but if she has one of the dogs in her sight, she does not listen.

Thank you. What you have is an alpha dog and one that is possessive aggressive not protective of you. She sees you as her possession. When she acts out and begins to stare at them, look to see what is around. Are there toys, food , bones, or is she in a space that she does not want another in? These are all signs of possession aggression.

Dogs hear the word no so often it doesn't really have a meaning so that is why id does not work when they are determined.

What you need to do is take over your environment so that she does not feel alpha and does not become possessive.

To do this you need to do daily obedience training with her and I would put her on the learn to earn program.

If you don't do this , I fear you will always have this problem. She needs to be put on the same playing field as all the other dogs in the home and this can only be done if you are seen as the alpha in the home.

the site shows you have gone offline and i will be going off for a break as well. Here are links that will go over basic training and the learn to earn program.

I think once you get things underway things will change. But I would keep a leash on the dog at all times so you can grab it if she begins her stare down and remove her from the room.

make sure you teach her the leave it command very firm so you can eventually give here that command when you see she is about to act out.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Clicker leave it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer