Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

This is a behavior question. Two neutered male dogs....they

Customer Question

This is a behavior question. Two neutered male dogs....they are loved and cuddled regularly, they are walked regularly, fed regularly, played with regularly, have a doggy door to outside yet they both pee in the house in spite of training and use of "doggy no" applied to the areas. We had to rip out the caroets throughout the house and have replaced mist of the laminate flooring for this reason. I love my boys but I'm fed up with them using my house for their toilet (they do poop in the house maybe once or twice a year). HELP!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have T&S been neutered?
2) Are you seeing urine on the vertical, horizontal or both types of surfaces?
3) Have any diagnostics been run, such as urinalysis for each pet?
4) Are both boys doing this or just one?
5) Can you tell me more about how they were originally oriented into the home? Have they always had free access?
6) How often are they given scheduled bathroom breaks despite the doggy door? Has it cut down on accidents in the house?
7) What breeds of dog are they?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The boys have been neutered since before they came to me. Toby was a year old when I got him from the ASPCA shelter 6 years ago. The doggy door has been in place since day one. The dogs are both in excellent health and up to date on all vaccinations. They pee mostly on verticle surfaces but also on the floor itself. We aren't 100% sure who's doing the marking since we don't usually see it being done. However, we do know that Toby will pee (and sometimes poop) if the weather is very rainy or very hot (today the temps are mild). Seven was a stray we found about 3 years ago. We did catch him peeing in the house once or twice when he first came to us. But a little discipline and treats to do his business outside seemed to correct that....but not 100% of the time. My wife has caught him hiking his leg and sent him outside before he let fly. Unfortunately whether he has done anything or not he always acts guilty and goes outside on his own. Until resently my wife and I both worked full time so they got an afternoon walk only. I retired about 6 weeks ago and I take them in the morning and we both take them in the afternoon. The walks are close to a mile unless the weather is bad or too hot. And, no, that hasn't cut down on the problem. Toby is a dachshund/terrier mix. We have theories about Seven's geniology but nothing concrete. He looks like he has some schnouzer or scottie in him.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You asked me questions and I answered them here many hours ago. I do not wish to spend additional money that I can't afford on a phone call. Please just take all the info I've provided and, if you can, give me a reasonable solution....if not, thanks anyway, I'll inquire elsewhere.

Hi, Victor. Thanks for your response. Your reply came through shortly after I had signed off for the day. There will be a delay if you and I are not signed on at the same time to chat back and forth.

1) Do you witness both dogs hiking of the leg when they urinate on vertical surfaces, or just Seven?
2) Are these full bladder expressions or a few sprinkles?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you all the same....did you even read my responses to your initial inquiry? I have already told the the folks at Justanswer that I am not pleased with the outcome of my inquiry and have adked fir a refund. I was, until now, considering recanting that request. I will not be utilizing their service ever again if you are an example of how things are done.