Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

Ace is 4 1/2 years old. He has always been as my husband…

Ace is 4 1/2...

Ace is 4 1/2 years old. He has always been as my husband would say sweet and sour. He is a lab/ great Dane mix. Our big problem right now is he is getting aggressive with us. Just a little while ago I was laying on my bed. I turned the light on and was talking to him. He rolled over for me scratch is tummy which I was doing and he started to growl at me. When I to!d him no no growl he got louder then sit up and bit at me really aggressively. We put him in his crate for a time out. He doesn't use the crate any more because we don't need to. My husband has said he's afraid he's going to go off on me. If he does he says he's going back to the shelter

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Ace. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ace?

We've had him since he was 4 months old.

8/11/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How is he if he has a valued item such as a bone , and you try to take it away from him?

What type of training did you do with him and do you continue?

If he has anything food or toy he will become aggressive. The toy thing is usually later in the day. But he does it even if we are just talking to him and not taking his toy. He did have beginners training. No he doesn't go now. He has been stubborn about discipline since he was 4months old.

Thank you for that information. I am sorry for the delay as I was not notified of your response.

It sounds like you have a possessive aggressive dog and if steps are not taken now it will get worse over time. Dogs see many things as a possession, from humans, to toys/bones, to space.

The best thing to do at this time is daily training in obedience and put him on the learn to earn program where nothing in life is free to him, he must earn everything he wants, including dinner.

He needs to be kept off of furniture as this is seen as a possession and there may be a little alpha aggression going on and being on furniture puts the dog at the top of the household making humans second or last. This cannot be tolerated.

I am going to direct you a training site using positive reinforcements for good behavior and you can put his normal bowl of kibble up high and use that as his reward for listening to you. He should not have a full bowl of food placed in front of him anymore.

I will also direct you to a link on the learn to earn to read through. Put these two things in place daily if you want to see a difference.

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

I will be going off line for the night soon, but will be back on tomorrow. I think I have given you enough to get started. It may seem like a lot to do, but once you get a routine going it will become part of your daily life's routine and will get easier.

Thank you

you are very welcome.

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist