Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a 4 year old female boxer (Stella) and a 6 year old…

Customer Question
I have a 4 year...
I have a 4 year old female boxer (Stella) and a 6 year old male boxer (Joey). They are full brother and sister and the breeder helped us chose Stella because she was submissive. Joey has never really taken to Stella, in the beginning he rough housed with her quite a bit. I thought it was a boxer thing, but as a result he taught her how to be very scrappy and tough. In the last year that has gone away, they fight for real now and it's pretty severe. Joey is dealing with a ripped up leg from the latest incident. It's gotten so bad that my husband and I have researched how to properly break up a dog fight. A variety of things set them off, jealousy, over excited and then bump into one another, and just last week it was a fight over an ice bag that smelled like crab. I'm really wanting to get rid of one but my husband refuses. It scares me to death when they fight, especially because I cannot break them up alone. Joey is 80lbs and Stella is 60. They are very loving awesome dogs otherwise, they love people and don't have issues with other dogs, just one another. A neighbor helped me split them up once and he was afraid to let Joey go because he thought he would attack him. I told him it was ok and as soon as he let him go and Stella was gone, he shook off and waged his tale like nothing happened.
I try and keep them separate when outside, but we have an 11 year old and things can happen. Any suggestions otherwise?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Training
8/8/2017
Dog Trainer: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Have you had a behaviorist visit your companions in-home to evaluate their behavior?

Have each of them been through formal training at a training facility with yourself or your husband?

No and no. The cost is what's preventing that. I'm fairly dog savvy, I've always had them and grew up on a farm with many animals. I just haven't experienced fighting before, we've only had one dog at a time until now.

If your husband is unwilling to rehome one of them, are you able to commit to keeping them separated to avoid aggression? Has the breeder been contacted thus far to report what is happening?