Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have two puppies (rottweiler/german shepherd mix) They are…

Customer Question
I have two puppies...

I have two puppies (rottweiler/german shepherd mix) They are siblings born on feb 19 (5months) We got them off craigslist at three months old. The white one (Dante) is bigger than his brother Kodiak (black). Dante has been successful in potty training, but his brother hasn't. not only that but when we have visitors in the house, Kodiak hides and will either poop or pee if someone other than me or my husband touch him. What do I do ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Rottweiler's name?

Kodiak

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Rottweiler?

Other than that he's afraid of everything,no.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

I am reviewing your question now .

In reading what your problem is , this is not uncommon in shy fearful dogs.

Each dog is born with its own personality just as people are. However when you buy siblings a shy dog may get ever more shy and fearful as time goes on. This is called littermate syndrome. What happens is the weaker of the two dogs bonds to the sibling and really never flourishes on its own. This is why reputable breeders will not sell two pups to one household.

You will have to do some special training to get the dog out of its shell and there is no guarantee the dog will fully flourish , it may always be the dog that acts shy and fearful.

I would recommend clicker training daily , without the other dog present, to try and boost its self esteem.

When it comes to company, they should ignore the dog altogether until you have had time to build it up a bit. People often challenge a dog by looking at it, talking to it, or reaching out to pet it. They do not realize the dog sees this as a challenge, they are just being human. The more someone approaches a shy dog the more likely they will have submissive urination. It seems as if Kodiak is so bothered by people that he cannot control himself. I would be putting him in a place he feels secure and away from people before they come over at this point. You have a lot more training and socialization skills to build on. I would look into a class that is local and can help you help her to adjust. There are classes just for shy or aggressive dogs.

Would finding him a new home be helpful for him on the long run ? Someone close to us?

Well as long as he is the only dog at this time and they have the time to put into him. A shy dog needs constant training to alleviate some of the stress. Training provides some consistency. I would still enroll him in a shy dog class.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist