Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My 9 week old dog is nipping and biting a lot. Can I use her…

Customer Question
My 9 week old...

My 9 week old dog is nipping and biting a lot. Can I use her kennel as a quick time out to divert the behavior. I've been giving her chew toys instead but today has been really bad and she doesn't seem interested in toys

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name?

Oxley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Oxley?

No. She's a good puppy 85% of the time Bathrooms well, listens for the most part. Just this biting

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Training
7/31/2017
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 11 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Teaching a puppy not to bite, nip and chew on things including you is very hard. This is because your puppy is teething. I know you didn't mention chewing objects but that goes along with puppies this age so I'll include tips for that as well. You should provide your puppy with lots of appropriate things for him to chew on. They have wonderful chew toys that you can put treats inside or peanut butter inside that helps the puppy keep focused on that chew toy rather than your table legs or other inappropriate objects. This can be hard if there are children’s toys on the floor so it will take a lot of effort on your part to keep the floor free of these objects as much as possible. They nip at people because this is often what they do to get their mom's attention. toys should be rotated out so your pup doesn't become bored. For adults I recommend weekly switches but pups become bored even quicker.

Teach your dog what “NO’ means. It can be a powerful tool so you can stop the chewing at least long enough for you to remove it. You can also use a product called bitter apple on surfaces that you do not want your dog to chew on. It has a bad flavor that most dogs do not like. Hot pepper sauce can work as well for this purpose.

When a dog is chewing and nipping on people the best method is to say “NO’ make a cry of pain and most puppies will respond and stop. For those that don’t respond, you will need to redirect his nipping or biting to an appropriate object. If you are playing and she nips, you want to do the same and then stop playing with her. She should learn soon that if she nips, playtime is over. Some puppies learn earlier than others and most do not totally learn not to nip and chew on you until they are 4-5 months old.

Another thing that you will want to do is try and teach children that may be around your puppy not to make high-pitched squeals and run. To a puppy or dog, high pitched noises mean play time and it is a natural instinct called prey drive to chase after a running object. You may want to keep a leash on your puppy at all times so you can easily give a quick tug for a correction when she is doing something that is not allowed such as nipping or chewing. You also need to remember that corrections are worthless if not done when the behavior is occurring. You can not correct a dog if you find something chewed. You can only correct her when she is actually doing it.

Here are some great sites on bite inhibition.

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/puppy-socialization-and-bite-inhibition/271

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-44.htm

Be sure you do not allow play that involves biting you. I discourage tug of war games with puppies as it can lead to lunging bites from the pup. I do recommend letting pups follow you around the yard and you dropping tiny paper thin treats of hot dogs when they do so. It teaches them to stay close to you without biting your ankles. This is great for helping teach them to walk on a leash or heel later on.

Start obedience training at home. Session can only be 5 minutes or so but you can do 5-6 a day. At this age they learn incredibly fast. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Now there are some dogs that just don't seem to get the message. Dogs that are taken away from their mothers too early are deprived of the time with their siblings and other dogs which helps them learn that biting can hurt so they need to be careful. Now there is a method for stubborn biters but it should be used as a last resort. You can stop mouthing and biting hard by going the opposite direction. Instead of taking your hand out of her mouth, put it further in the mouth. DO NOT do this meanly (not that you would). Do not do it quickly or shove it in too far, just move it further in enough that it makes her uncomfortable so that she pulls her mouth away from your hand. SHe will learn that putting her mouth on your hand results in the hand going further in and possibly triggering a gag reflex which she will not find pleasant. I'v found that this methods works on the most stubborn puppies.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.