Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

Recently our 2 boxer-beagle boys are alarmed at arounr 4:30…

Customer Question
Recently our 2 boxer-beagle...

Recently our 2 boxer-beagle boys are alarmed at arounr 4:30 a.m and begin fiercely barking, hair-up and get to the point of howling. We thing someone is messing with in with a dog whistle or high frequency radio. Is that possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Boxer's name and age?

Chaz and Chester - siblings age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boxer's name?

Sent

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boxer?

No they sleep pretty peacefully on our bed

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

It is certainly possible that something is going on at the same time each morning that the dogs are not used to hearing.

This can be a high frequency noise or noise from a AC system, automobile etc.

It's possible that there is an initial sound that gets them going before thy have awakened you with howling.

Has there been any new activity in the neighborhood? New people or animals?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a resident with a Ham Radio

If they are close enough and the resident is up with the radio on then that can be a reason. Have you asked them if they are up at that time or if the radio is on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It is a neighborhood dispute going on between several neighbors. This behavior started just the past couple of months. Other things have awakened them like sprinklers but they'd park a little and stop. One dig would trigger the parking of the other. This is both jolting together like I've never seen.

I see. A dispute makes it very hard to deal with. But I would say if the radio is on or being used there may be talking/chatter or frequencies that the dogs are hearing.

You may be able to help them by playing some cdog calming music. There are CDs for dogs called, "through a dogs ear" or you can find 8 hours of calmin gmusic for dogs on uyoutube.

Nature sounds can also be played.

http://lifehacker.com/5599504/naturesoundsforme-makes-mixing-and-sharing-relaxing-tracks-simple