Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a question about my dog's behavior. He is a 3 month

Customer Question

Hi. I have a question about my dog's behavior. He is a 3 month old puppy. I take him to group obedience classes and to a half a day of doggie camp because I want him to be socialized with other dogs. When he is at doggie camp he likes to follow all the other dogs around. He picks different dogs and he follows them and then he tries to get the other dog to chase him. He also does this with my kittens (they're old like 6 month old kittens) and the kittens play along where they chase him and then he chases them. My dog also goes up to other dogs and does this thing where he kind of drums his paws on their heads. The other dogs don't seem to mind. They usually lick him or nuzzle and smell him. Any idea why my dog likes to follow other dogs around? I get the chasing thing, that's like a game. But I observed that the other dogs in the dog camp don't seem out other dogs to follow most just wander around in a group. So I'm just wondering why my dog is different?
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is him sleeping with one of the kittens.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess part of what I'm trying to understand is the pack mentality in dogs and how my dog fits in with that. I understand horse behavior pretty well- they have to be in a herd even if it's with just one other animal like a goat. But the dog's thinking perplexes me.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, JACustomer. Do you happen to have video of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I'd have to video him at camp tomorrow and I don't know if they would allow it since they have rules about that. They may have a webcam you could see I'll have to check

See what options exist and we can chat further tomorrow. It will greatly help to see what you're seeing. Just as it is with horse behavior, it's much easier to tell what is happening when you can view the body language of an animal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I can tell you his ears are flat (not pinned) and his eyes are bulging out
Like he's excited and his tail is wagging a mile a minute it's like he is just so so excited to see any other dog.

It sounds to me like this is likely playful behavior based on the way you've described it. Hopefully the camp will be willing to allow video since it's being shared directly with a professional. If not, we'll make do :)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like horses won't accept people into their herd if s person stares at them in the eye or comes at them head on. You kind of have to walk sideways with them and then I know this is weird but you have to breath your breath near their nostrils so they can inhale your breath. This makes them see you as a herd animal and not a predator. So with the puppy I wonder maybe he wants to be part of the pack?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll see if I can get video.

Very possible. I think it's likely he's taking the submissive role and trying to find dogs by treating them like he treats the cats at home. Singling them out and then giving them playful signals to see if they will give chase.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just am fascinated with animal psychology. Like my cats the way I socialize them is that they know I am the food provider and main protector. And I discipline them the way a mom cat would I bop them on the head (not
Too hard). But dogs are new to me I haven't had one in over 10 years.

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it!