Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I have two, female (4 years old) english bulldogs. not

Customer Question
i have two, female (4...
i have two, female (4 years old) english bulldogs. not related. they can be together but anything could set them off to fight. We have to blue heelers. Each dog gets along with the heelers but if all four are together then one bull will get jealous or whatever and start a fight with the other bull. They have also fought over affection if things get excitable with a human. We have a vacation home and I have come up with a solution of bringing the blue heelers and one bull and alternating a bull each weekend. Our vacation home is smaller then our main home (which has more gates then a prison) so it's a little harder to keep separation at vacation home. It can be done but one bull would literally be in a room for hours. Here is my problem: My youngest daughter (she's 22) wants all four dogs together and try it. Not together but in the same house. She seems to be humanizing the dog that is left at home, which by the way, has my two older children at home to shower tons of affection, care and love. But in her mind she thinks the one dog left behind is getting screwed. I feel in my gut what the right thing is to do. It seems she is too young or emotional to understand what could happen. Am I wrong? I've tried to talk with her but maybe I'm not saying the right thing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: I currently don't have a dog trainer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog training?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
7/26/2017
Dog Trainer: Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician replied 4 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Are the dogs crate trained?

Have they ever been to obedience classes ever?

Are all the dogs spayed/neutered?

When they start fighting, what do you do?

Has this always been an issue, or is it a new problem?

dogs are all crate trained. Yes, they have been to obedience classes but just the basics. Yes they are spayed/neutered. When they have fought we have separated them with very little damage to either dog but not sure what would happen if I didn't try to separate them. It has always been a issue. We had the bulldogs from puppy age, before we got the heelers. The bulls' first fight was when they were about 2. We got the heelers a year ago (they are both 1..male and female). So they aren't fighting because of the heelers. The bulls sleep together and when things are calm they are ok but you just never know what triggers it. Sometimes it's when there's a lot of excitement in the house; it was definitely a couple of times when the heelers are playing and one of the bulls is playing with the heelers then the other bull will just go after the one bull (and i feels it's my alpha bull that always starts the fight with the other bull). In the four years we have had them they have fought about 6 times but I am careful with the triggers and preventing it and they can sit next to each other. The triggers seem to be jealousy

And do they always listen to you?

Do they ever show any aggression towards humans?

They do listen but not when they are engaged in a fight. I was told to use a cookie sheet to put in between them the next time they fight. They have never shown aggression towards a human. They are extremely friendly. You can take a bone from them and they won't do a thing. It's just between the two of them.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Although a power struggle over who is dominant can result in interdog fights in a home, there are also many other possible causes that range from fear and anxiety to hormonal issues.

There's a good site that discusses interdog aggression here:
http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembehaviors/understanding-aggression

That being said, the first step is to have the aggressor of the majority of the fights seen by the vet to rule out possible medical reasons for the fighting. Things like thyroid issues can cause behavioral changes (usually to the aggressive) in dogs. Having your vet take a quick peek and run a thyroid test and/or any other tests they think could explain this behavior is the first step.

If that comes back clean, then you'll have to figure out how to handle this situation. Make sure you don't ever yell or physically discipline the dogs when they're fighting. Raising your voice causes the excitement in the dogs to increase, which can make them fight even more. Also, using physical punishment will only make them feel like they really do have something to be worried or afraid of. When they start fighting, the best thing to do is to quietly and calmly separate them if possible. Sometimes allowing all the dogs to have leashes on while in the house will give you something to grab and use to pull them apart so that you don't get bit accidentally.

I would also recommend getting everyone (or at least the bullies) involved in more training classes. It will teach them to interact with one another in a positive way...and will help drain energy...the energy that they may have used to fight one another in the past.

If you're reluctant to do that, then you're going to have to take steps to ensure that the aggressor isn't ever left alone with the other dogs. Since your dogs are crate trained, you may have to use them more frequently to avoid fights. Crates/Kennels provide a safe place for a dog to retreat to when they're overwhelmed about something.
You should also feed them in the crates and make sure to separate them when letting them outside.

Unfortunately, if you're unable to get these ideas to work, you may have to consider finding a new home for one or more of the dogs. It's definitely possible that your aggressive dog simply can't live peacefully with other dogs. It's actually pretty common to have dogs who have lived together fine before develop aggression as they age, so if your more aggressive dog can't live happily in your home, the finding a new place may be the best not only for her, but for the other dogs (and you!) too.

I hope this helps.

Dog Trainer: Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician