Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

This isn't a medical issue, so I totally understand if you'd

Customer Question

This isn't a medical issue, so I totally understand if you'd rather not address my question!
We have an appx 5 year old terrier/pit bull/beagle, etc mix. We found him under a car at about 1 year old. We love him dearly, but his incessant barking has rendered us all hearing impaired. He goes absolutely crazy when someone walks in the door- not mean, but so excited he can hardly stand it. I hate it when people can't see what a great dog he is because they want to throttle him when he won't stop barking. He responded very well to a shock collar I used for a couple of years. I had to do something as he was chasing after the deer and catching squirrels. It was a Sport Dog brand, simple and nearly impossible to accidentally change settings. I had my husband zap himself first. After a couple of weeks, I just had to use the beep, no shock. That collar wore out and I've read such bad things regarding their use, I'm not sure if I should replace it.
Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated. Thanks
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Used correctly, the shock or spray collars are great training tools. However, they do need to be taken off when the dog sleeps and should not be worn all the time. When used incorrectly they can lead to hair loss and even ulceration from the prongs. Now they make citronella spray bark collars and training collars that are effective. Bark collars use prongs even if it is a spray correction. Spray training collars rely on the owner to push the button and correct the situation. Those do not stop barking when you are not around.

If you were happy with the collars use and your dog did not suffer any health issues when you used it, I would replace the batteries or collar and use it for this problem as well. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.