Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I HAVE OWNED BOXERS ALL MY LIFE, 7 IN FACT OVER THE YEARS.

Customer Question

I HAVE OWNED BOXERS ALL MY LIFE, 7 IN FACT OVER THE YEARS. MY CURRENT BOXER IS 3 YEARS OLD AND HAS AN HABIT OF GOING AFTER ANY DOG ON LEASH OR NOT TO THE POINT OF SERIOUS INJURY OR ONCE RESULTING IN DEATH. HE HAS NO FEAR RELATED TO THE SIZE OF WHAT BREED HE ATTACKS OR EVEN ANOTHER ANIMAL SUCH AS A MULE LAST WINTER IN MEXICO.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog training?
Customer: I HAVE OWNED BOXERS ALL MY LIFE 7 IN FACT OVER 40 YEARS. MY CURRENT MALE 3 YEAR OLD AND HAS AN ONGOING HABIT OF ATTACKING ANY OTHER DOG REGARDLESS OF SEX OR BREED. THIS HAS BEEN CATASTROPHIC RESULTING IN DEATH IN ONE CASE. HE'S EVEN ATTACKED A MULE BUT FORTUNATELY I OR SOMEONE ELSE HAS BEEN ABLE TO SEPARATE THEM, HOWEVERTHE SETTLEMENT COSTS HAVE BEEN VERY EXPENSIVE. MOST RECENTLY IN MEXICO HE WAS TAKEN BY THE AUTHORITIES FROM ME AND ONLY THROUGH SHEER LUCK WAS I ABLE TO RETRIEVE HIM FROM EUTHANASIA. ALWAYS ON LEASH, BEHIND AN INVISIBLE FENCE ON MY TWO ACRE PROPERTY, OR CONFINED TO THE HOUSE THE OCCASION HAS ARISON WHERE HE BREAKS FREE. I CAN NO LONGER LET HIM RUN FREE FOR FEAR HE WILL SEE OR SCENT ANOTHER DOG. HE RUNS CONTINUALLY WHEN ALLOWED, NOT UNLIKE A CHEETAH OR ANTELOPE AND THIS IS VIRTUALLY CONTINUAL FOR UP TO 15-30 MINUTES. A GOLF COURSE OR BEACH IS HIS IDEAL ENVIRONMENT, THOUGH I HAVE TO CAREFULLY CHECK THE AREA BEFOREHAND. LOKI (V1) IS MY ONLY PET AND ITH ONE EXCEPTION BY A LONG (-10 MINUTE( INTRODUCTORY PERIOD WITH BOTH DOGS ON LEASH AND ONLY ALLOWED WITHIN NOSE TOUCHING DISTANCE, A FRIEND WITH A PORTUGUESE WATER DOG BECAME FRIENDLY AT WHICH POINT THEY PLAYED TOGETHER ALMOST WITHOUT REST FOR AN ENTIRE WEEKEND.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: WHAT CAN I DO???
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about the dog training?
Customer: THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE. CHRISTOPHER OWEN (*****@******.***)
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What obedience training has your boy had?

Is he neutered?

Have any specialized tests been run on him at all?

I was hoping to get some responses back from you before responding but since I haven't, I did want to give you some information on the situation.

The first thing I would have checked is your dogs thyroid. Boxers often have thyroid issues and hypothyroidism can cause sudden aggression in dogs. REad about the issue in boxers here:

http://www.americanboxerclub.org/purina3.html

That should be your first step. Your dog is going to need intensive obedience training at a minimum. He needs to come when called regardless of the distraction. He should stay when put into a sit or down position as well. I am assuming he has had some training but will need more if he can not be recalled when he gets loose. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

The next thing that needs to be done if you do not want your dog seized is to prevent his escaping from an enclosure. There are many ways of accomplishing this but most invisible fences are not enough for a dog that is motivated to escape. Many invisible fences are underground and those no longer deliver a shock or reprimand once the dog is so many feet from the wire, thus allowing a dog to "run through". They are pretty effective when coupled with a traditional fence as they prevent a dog from climbing over or digging under a traditional fence.

Now there is the instant invisible fence that gives a reprimand the whole time the dog is outside the transmitter range but a motivated dog will still run out and then back in. I would suggest either a traditional fence coupled with the invisible fence to prevent his escaping.

You should also teach your dog not to run out the door. This is accomplished with the sit and stay command. You can put a tether on the floor near the door and keep a leash on him. You will attach him to the tether have him sit and stay then open the door. If he moves he gets no treat. If he stays in his position, then he gets a treat of a hot dog sliver. You want him seeing that staying inside gets him more satisfaction with the treats than running out.

It takes a lot of work. An inside pet fence (invisible) can help keep him inside as well. Another option is keep a basket muzzle on him from morning to night on the off chance he will escape. It is a bit extreme but if that is what it takes to prevent him injuring another animal or person which would likely cause his euthanasia by animal control.

I have to run out, but if you have more questions or need more clarification, just respond and I'll get back to you.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.