Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My dog was groomed Monday it was cut short. Starting Tuesday

Customer Question
he wasn't acting the same...
My dog was groomed Monday it was cut short. Starting Tuesday he wasn't acting the same he is usually a cuddle bug but now he stays in the other room by himself till we get him then he cuddles. He's all the sudden whiny if we get to far from him. The groomer is my cousin she owns her own shop and has groomed our dogs for years she comes to our house so we don't have to drag them out. My husband and I were with her the whole time the only unusual thing that happened was it was the first grooming for his baby sister (same mom n dad different litter) and let's just say his baby sister was not happy before she even started the sound of the clippers made his sister scream like she's dying. We never finished her we are doing her slowly with treats so we don't traumatize her with grooming. His fur is shorter then we usually cut but not by much just one guard size down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No blood
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No he's healthy eats, drinks and potties like always. He's almost acting depressed for lack of better term. But this has never happened before
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Training
1/5/2017
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 10 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Is this the first he was shaved or is it the first time he was shaved closer than he normally is?

Is it a 10 blade where it is pretty much down to the skin with very little fur?

Was he in the area when the sister was done?

He gets trimmed short a couple times a year but not down to short just slightly shorter. And yes he was in the room my cousin brought her daughter and she was playing with him the whole time. No problems with the other dogs except his sister
He's just never acted like this he doesn't even want his ball he lives for his ball

Sometimes when dogs get cut short they do go into a kind of depression and sometimes it helps if immediately after the cut you put a tee shirt on them. It gives the feeling that there is something there , a heaviness that they would feel with their hair.

I would suspect that the sister crying may have played a role in it making something stressful out of a situation that is fairly normal to him.

The fact that he does not want to go for his ball can indicate illness however. Something in the joints or a disc in the spine.

I would try giving him a baby aspirin, put a tee shirt on him and keep him well rested for the next 24 hours. If it is pain related then the strict rest and aspirin should help.

If you notice he is not better within a few more days I would have him examined by the Vet. The smaller breeds have problems with the discs in the spine and it can happen suddenly or over time where the tissue hardens and presses on the spine. This would account for his lack of enthusiasm over the ball.

Keep an eye on his vital signs as well. I will direct you to a site that will show you how to do this.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Thank you he's my baby I've never been a dog person till he came along my kids joke I love him more then them and this is so out of his norm

You know your dog better than anyone, so you will know if it is time to take him to be seen. And I agree, there is always that one dog that captures your heart!

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist