Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

6 months old still peeing in the house, She was sick now

Customer Question
6 months old still peeing...
6 months old still peeing in the house
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She was sick now she's better but she goes outside sometimes other times she doesn't
JA: Is this new behavior?
Customer: No she has gotten a little better but at 6 months she shouldn't be doing it
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abigail we call her Abby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abigail?
Customer: I don't think so she was real sick when we got her she was losing fur but the vet cleared it up
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Training
1/3/2017
Dog Trainer: Ola Barrett,
 replied 10 months ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr. Ola and I would be happy to address your concern about Abby's inappropriate elimination. Puppy training is never the same from one dog to another and a high number of puppies are not fully house trained at six months of age. Therefore, Abby is really not abnormal! I know it is very frustrating to deal with when you have a new puppy in the house. Puppies need to learn that they can hold their bladders when not completely full but this takes time. Because of this, when even a small amount of urine is present in the bladder, they will feel the urgency to urinate. A 6 month old puppy should be able to hold their bladder for about 2-3 hours so make certain this is the minimum that she is being taken out. Also, make going outside fun and exciting; when she urinates outside give her tons of praise and a small treat. This associates the good behavior of urinating outdoors with a reward. You can also pair the act of going outside with a small bell placed on the door; over time some dogs will learn to ring the bell when they want to go outdoors once they associate it with needed to urinate. Not all dogs will learn this so be patient.

I also strongly recommend the practice of crate training while you training Abby as well. Place Abby in a crate that has plenty of room to accomodate her a small absorbent pad on one end with food water on the other end. Over time, replace the pee pad with bedding. She should be crated when you leave the house to avoid accidents as well as an intermittent times through the day when you are home. Never associate the crate with anything negative such as punishment, however, as this will defeat the purpose.

Give her more time and be patient.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett