Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

My 6 year old Yorkie/Shitzu has been peeing on my carpet,

Customer Question

My 6 year old Yorkie/Shitzu has been peeing on my carpet, bought a new on and covered with plastic, she urinated on that.....stopped going on per pee pad. What do I do
Frustsyed
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening, Naomi.

1) How long have you had your companion?
2) Has she always urinated on the carpet?
3) Has she had any diagnostics to determine the cause of the urinating? Any bloodwork or urinalysis?
4) Any changes in her routines? New people in the house? changes in eating or drinking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1) 6 years
2) for several months
3) no
4) normally urinates I think because I leave her along during the day on some occasions, very spoiled

I would recommend scheduling her with your vet for some diagnostics. Typically when we see a dog's urination habits change it is a direct sign that they have a urinary concern, most commonly a urinary tract infection. Bloodwork and a urinalysis would be helpful in ruling out an underlying medical condition which might result in inappropriate urination habits. It is possible that this has a behavioral root, but we absolutely must rule out a medical concern before we can begin viewing the risk of behavioral concerns as valid. If a medical concern is ruled out, you can then begin addressing the concern with changes in her routine. You can work on kennel training her or leaving her in a kennel if she is already kennel trained. You can also talk to your vet about behavioral medications for separation anxiety if this plays a factor (her not fairing well when left alone), such as prozac. There is also a food out now that helps with behavioral concerns, more info here: https://www.royalcanin.com/products/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-canine-calm-dry-dog-food/3956

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800