Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We recently, 3 months ago, as a buddy to our black/tan

Customer Question

We recently, 3 months ago, as a buddy to our black/tan coonhound who lost her best buddy and friend to disease. She was 14 years, therefore, Chaplin (coonhound) had a long time being friends to her. Two months later we or I should write, Chaplin, picked a friend for her at an animal rescue center. Our new dog,Adie, and Chaplin get along extremely well togther, however, my main reason for writing is the fact that my Brother-in-Law has a problem with her. She is about 3 years old, is fearful of any type of noise, of which we are being patient with her due to the fact that she had been put in a kennel with no human communication, she had to use it as a bathroom, and many other horribly issues. She was found tied at the end of a boat dock and a man gathered her up and took her to the shelter. My brother-in-law has always had great rapport with dogs, and we cannot figure out why she wants nothing to do with him, the first minute she knows he is in the house she begins to bark. Our conclusion is to let her find her own manner to connect to Mitch. Any other guidence woud be very appreciated. Jan Connor
JA: I'm sure Adie feels you are doing your best. What is the matter with Adie?
Customer: She cries and barks at any sign of any kind. Example, I actually bumped her stainless steel food container and she ran off. She is jumpy at any noice what so ever. She show the actions of someone who is afraid. My sister and myself have to issue with her.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Adie?
Customer: The information we received from the shelter was that she had been consistently keep there to where she even had to use it as a means to go to the bathroom. Before we could get she she needed to go to our best hosspital in Ames, Iowa. They needed to sadete her to pick all the sticky weeds, brush that was embedded in her skin. And she looked as if she did not get much food.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is Mitch willing to work with Adie to help with the situation?

Is she just barking at him

Along with the noises you mention is she shy of thunder, gunshots, etc?

Has anyone tried to reassure her when she reacts to various noises?

what has been tried as far as her behavior toward Mitch?

does he lean over her to try and pet her?

Is his voice low toned?

Hi again,

I noticed that you have not responded to my request for more information. Perhaps you deleted it in error or it went to your junk folder and you missed it. Here is the information request again.

Is she just barking at him

Is his voice low toned?